Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i am trout fishing in some natural streams and a stocked pond,and was wondering what would be a good bait/lure choice for a begi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am trout fishing in some natural streams and a stocked pond,and was wondering what would be a good bait/lure choice for a begi

i am trout fishing in some natural streams and a stocked pond,and was wondering what would be a good bait/lure choice for a beginner?

Small Rooster Tail, Mepps, and Panther Martin spinners; small spoons like the Phoebe, Little Cleo, and Al's Goldfish. Casting upstream and retrieving downstream is not vital but it's generally more effective. Experiment on your own with blade color and body color; basic gold and basic silver are the standbys, but there are lots of other colors. I like to go with the less flashy when the water and weather are clear; as you've probably discovered, trout are easy to spook. As for live bait, small worms and small crayfish (or just the tails) work just fine. Use small hooks and as little weight as you can get away with. If you want to release your catch, squeeze the barbs down on both your lures and your bait-hooks.

Comment

When all else fails go to the "garden hackle" AKA worm

Comment

Whut Sourdough said!

Don't even wait for the others to fail.

Comment

I take a nightcrawler and tear about 1 1/2 inch off of his or her tail and thread it on a #10 bronze hook and leave about 3/4 inch of the worm trailing behind the hook. No respectable trout anywhere can turn this down.

Comment

Nightcrawlers and corn. You can't beat them.

Comment

Avoid bait ALTOGETHER if you intend to release your fish. Doesn't help much to go barbless either. They just inhale bait down the gullet nine times out of ten. Fly fishing is best for catch and release. Very rarely do they get hooked deeply with flies. If you want to turn them back and you're fishing with spinners or lures, switch the treble to single hooks. It will not affect the action of the lure and may even help keep you from getting snagged up as often. When fly fishing I never go barbless unless the fish are really small. It's usualy not necessary. However, small fish need to be released immediately and it may be too hard on them to wrestle even one barbless hook from jaw. I really don't care if the small ones get off anyway so I will go barbless if only little tikes are in the water.

Comment

Using a third of a night crawler tipped with a kernel of corn fishing on bottom is a guarantee for me. If that doesn't work try a third of a night crawler with half of a mini marshmallow on it with splitshot a foot above it on bottom.

Comment

You can never go wrong with a wooley bugger!

Comment

Get a couple packs of trout magnets! Salmon Fix and White are my favorite colors. Gold will work if you can't find salmon fix (it is just a orange/yellow looking color)

Comment

Get a couple packs of trout magnets! Salmon Fix and White are my favorite colors. Gold will work if you can't find salmon fix (it is just a orange/yellow looking color)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad