Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any hints on fly fishing in central wisconsin I just started and want to know anything about it there is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any hints on fly fishing in central wisconsin I just started and want to know anything about it there is.

any hints on fly fishing in central wisconsin I just started and want to know anything about it there is.

match the hatch

Comment

I tried tying flies once. Heck I couldn't even rope one, let alone tie the little critter up!

Comment

Learn how to properly roll cast and over hand cast. Also study bug patterns to see whats coming of at the time. Make sure to use a tappered leader with flurocarbon tippet. Make sure you use the right amount of split shot. If your not catching any thing try changing flies or putting a second one on as a dropper. And use the right size fly. Depending on what your fishing for and the area determine that.

Comment

Your state has some of the most exciting fly fishing anywhere. If I were you, I would trek over to the Lake Michigan shoreline in the Spring or the fall and learn how to get in on the salmon and trout runs. You will fly fish with salmon streamers and have a shot at 20 pound salmon and trout that tail walk up into the bushes. My largest on a fly line was over 30 pounds and that was tough with a 4 pound tippet. Consider Port Washington, Manitowak or Two Rivers. It is worth the trip. Best times are around April for the Rainbow trout and late September for the Coho and King salmon. Of course you can also have a great time, spin casting or trolling for the biggies.

Comment

Learn how to cast and flick. If you can try to match the hatch or use a nymph. If you want trout i would get a 9 foot 5/6 wt rod and any reel would be fine. Always try to travel up stream not down. If you travel down try to stay out of the water because if you splash or make loud noises they will get spooked. Fish any deep holes in the stream or places with big rocks or stumps, good luck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad