Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im relearning flyfishing after finally getting time to do so. Im going to Mitchell River in Surry County NC anyone know what ki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im relearning flyfishing after finally getting time to do so. Im going to Mitchell River in Surry County NC anyone know what ki

Im relearning flyfishing after finally getting time to do so. Im going to Mitchell River in Surry County NC anyone know what kind of flies to use?

What are you going for?

Try to go to a local fly shop and ask what flies to use, if not, tell me what you're fishing for and look for what hatches (bugs, minnows, ect.) and ill try my best.

Comment

Size 8-10 black or olive buggers or the same size slumpbusters in greyish tones are key.
      Your preference of beadhead nymph, a hairs ear is never a bad choice but also have something black, size 12 to 18.
      Carry some Adams size 14 to 18. These will do for almost anything coming off. Have some cream and some orange stimulators size 14-16(if they are rising hard, not sipping). Have some size 16 sulfer emergers and spinners because nothing else will work if they pop will your on the water.

Its not that complicated a stream and the fish are forgiving; the brookies can seem downright ignorant. Those fish will almost always blast streamers and aside from the sulfers they aren't that particular about specific patterns(hence the adams). You just need to have the right size fly. I refuse to use anything I can't see and its mostly unnecessary in streams like the Mitchell hence I don't have anything smaller than size 18 listed and normally don't go below size 16 unless the fish are being onery.

Comment

Agreed with vtbluegrass and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad