Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to catch trout from these little trickles of water during the dead of winter? Frustrating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to catch trout from these little trickles of water during the dead of winter? Frustrating.

What's the best way to catch trout from these little trickles of water during the dead of winter? Frustrating.

Berkley's trout worms in bubblegum color. Put the worm on a small hook so that it is in s straight line and the tail is hanging off about a half inch. Put a few split shot about 8 inches up, and bounce it through a hole or run. I've been nailing trout with this setup.

Comment

Salmon eggs or salmon egg pattern flies or powerbait that looks like salmon eggs. I like to hang it 18 inches to two feet under a bobber, or let it bounce along the bottom with just enough weight to get it down.

Comment

I don't disagree with these bait choices, but no one said anything about the approach. Little trickles tend to be very clear, which means the trout can see you before you see them. Trout metabolism also slows down a lot in winter, so you need to fish slowly. Concentrate on slower pools. Avoid splashing around or using rigs/lure/flies that are going to make a lot of noise when they hit. Tiny little streams are tough enough in the spring/summer. You've got your work cut out for you in the winter.

Mind your shadow, take your time. The first cast into a likely run or hole is going to be the most important for sure. You have to be delicate on tiny trickles. If I fly fish them, I'll use a 2 or 3 weight rod and think long and hard about a cast before I make it.

Comment

Size 20 or 22 midges, yea they may be a pain to tie on, but they catch fish.

Comment

in the winter time, those trout are in their element and can be quite spooky. Watch the number of false casts. Try to work from downstream if at all possible. Small midges are the way to go, even down to size 26. If your using a strike indicator, don't move it around too much if you make a bad cast, the fish will pick up on this and you'll end up just giving them an education.

Comment

Approach your hole from down stream. Stay low and out of the water. Presentation is the key. If you have room to cast then cast. Learn to roll cast, dabble or fling (pinch your fly between your fingers then pull it towards you and let the rod sling it forward). Usually these small streams are tucked up into the thick mountain brush. I perfer a LONG rods in tight spots and short leaders. I feel I have more control for the dabble and fling this way. You will only need dry flies on these small waters.

I have a couple secret runs in WV I love to fish this way. It's neat to pull a 12 inch fish out of a hole 2 feet wide.

Comment

Yes for smaller trout I agree with all recommendations above. If you go for a steelhead I use a bigger pattern. Present something that is worth their energy to go get.

Comment

I do alot of fishing in Erie when the water is clear and Ice is all over. I like to down size my leader to a small diameter and use smaller flies than normal (14,16,18's). But one of the best things is to fish more in the middle of the day. The water temp rises a little and fish will get a little more active.

Comment

my whole key is to approach it from a different angle, and try to stay secluded, but awake mentally so the stream bottom doesn't cause you to jerk your rod too soon wen there are fish in the pools. If you're able to be stealthy, you'll find some good fishing in some places. UV eye protection allows you to see the fish better, and that may help. No one wants to fish an overfished stream.

Comment

Even though it is a big fly, I also like to use a size 8 Hare's Ear Nimph. Around my waters we have helgrimites and the fish really love them and the Hare's Ear Nimph does the trick.

Comment

use a #24 black nymph. And cast from a mile away.

Comment

use solid 6lb flourocarbon and anything smaller that a no.20 black midge or gnat pattern. Also an egg pattern may work.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                            Today, 04:18 PM
                          • 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                            08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                          • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                            by Amflyer
                            Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                            Today, 04:04 PM
                          • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                            by derek7
                            Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                            08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                          • Reply to Trump
                            by 99explorer
                            Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                            He
                            Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X