Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a young angler with a really tight budget, but what would be a good beginners fly rod? I target trout about 1-3 pounds. And

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a young angler with a really tight budget, but what would be a good beginners fly rod? I target trout about 1-3 pounds. And

I'm a young angler with a really tight budget, but what would be a good beginners fly rod? I target trout about 1-3 pounds. And what line weight should I use?

A simple calcutta bamboo (cane) pole will catch fish while being cheep, easy to use, and making a wonderfull learning tool for fly casting. You can even add a reel and some guides to it for an additional minimal cost. I personally learned to fly cast with such a rig from a former world champion back in the early seventies. I enjoyed fishing with the cane pole as much then as I do today with my vintage custom split bamboo fly rod.

Comment

I would suggest a 4 or 5 weight rod and line. Length and stiffness of rod is up to you based on application and your ability. If you're new, I would suggest getting something 8.5 to 9 feet long and something that's not too stiff. If you're looking for an inexpensive rod, be careful. They're not all created equal. In general, I think Cortland makes an okay rod rod under $100. There's a bunch more that do a pretty good job for under $200 like Echo, Temple Fork, Mystic, Orvis, and St. Croix.

Comment

There are combos for around $100 that are fine. About a 9 ft.er, no longer, and a 5, or 6 wt. Learn to cast !!!!! These threads that suggest you don't need to learn to cast are BS. Casting a fly is fun, and can be learned in a short period of time if you are interested in learning. Presentation on different waters fishing in different ways is harder, and takes time on the water. Get a med. fast action rod. See that a sales person knows what they are talking about when you tell them what you would like.

Comment

I learned to cast a fly on a $50 rod and reel combo from Walmart. If money really is tight, that's all you need. As stated above, Cortland makes an OK rod for not a lot of money. Later, when you have a bit more cash, you will want to upgrade. I'd also check Craig's List for a used rod. Almost any rod of 6 wt or less will serve for what you're talking about.

Comment

For fish that size I'd suggest a 6-7 wt rod (you get the line to match the rod and for a beginner always pick WF [weight forward] and green or gray [I had bad luck with the orange color]). A little heavier weight rod also allows you to work the line better in the wind and they cast weighted flies (especially creature features like articulated leaches) better. Also, I presume for those larger fish you'll be working larger water = longer casts, so definitely pick 8.5 or 9 foot rod. If you intend to work lakes in a float tube or boat, nothing less than nine foot length. One slight drawback to a stiffer rod (6-7 wt as opposed to 5 wt) is that they can be somewhat harder to set the hook on nibbly fish. I found more limber rods are harder to learn casting but that's just me. What's your opinion on that Sayfu?

I got a great outfit on E-bay before I went to work in Alaska a few years back. If you know what you want, it's a pretty good place to shop. There's LOTS to pick from usually. If you decide to shop on E-bay and not experienced with that come back here for some advice first.

Comment

As advised above, most of the larger companies offer combos that will come with a rod, reel, line and backing all set to go.
              5-6 wt. sounds about right.
              Look at Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, etc. some will even offer packages including a small selection of flies and a couple vest tools.
              Get out there and fish. Don't get too hung up about not being the next Lefty Kreh right out of the gate, like anything else, the more you do it the better you'll get.
              Enjoy

Comment

Shakespeare offers a combo that includes some flies and popping bugs. They're available at Wal Mart for around $25 or so. It ain't fancy but it's serviceable. I had one for years until the little aluminum reel finally gave up the ghost! I caught bass and catfish up to ten pounds and countless crappie, some up to 15 inches.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
                Keep us posted on your progress. We all like a good fishing story!

Bubba

Comment

Timothy
                  I forgot!
                  I will challenge you to keep a journal of you fishing adventures. Whether successful or not, your account will help you recall details easily lost to memory alone.
                  Nothing more than quick notes in the field or a short narrative at the end of the day. Once you get started, it's quite easy.
                  SAMPLE:
                  5/10/12
                  weather clear, no wind, about 65 degrees
                  caught 2 8" browns on a Wooly Booger I tied.
                  My buddy John caught only one, but it was a really nice 'bow about 12"!
                  Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Bubba

Comment

Please do not buy the $25 full outfit. I'm good, but I'm no good casting one of those. If your that tight I'd wait until you could afford around $100 for the line-rod-reel...and that is dirt cheap, and the cheapest you want to go. Starting out being handicapped with something that does not work ain't the right approach.

Comment

You're right, Sayfu. But not knowing the man's budgetary scheme, it was presented as an out..
                      Timothy
                      In all honesty, you should buy as good a rig as you can afford. Bargain basement items often lead to fruitless efforts. But neither is a $300 rod or reel necessary for good results. So, don't waste your money on junk, but you don't have to break the bank either!
                      Once again, Good Luck!!

Bubba

Comment

One word: EBAY!

Comment

Speaking of Fly rods, cheap or expensive: FLY RODS and AUTOMATIC GARAGE DOORS are mortal enemies. The more expensive the rod, the more likely it will get eaten by the garage door. Enough said.

Comment

Do you have a local fly shop? My local fly shop in Indianapolis has a full outfit for $100. That is cheap but still has quality. I learned on that until I could afford more. If you look online reddington has some decent bargains too. You could probably do a full outfit through them for $150. I usually fish with a 6wt rod/ree/line combo for regular fishing. (panfish, trout,smallmouth) I have an 8wt for steelhead and walleyes.

Comment

I started to fly fish with a $60 5-6wt Martin fly rod combo from wal-mart and now I bought a 6' 2wt ST. Croix Imperial and love it paid $160 for the rod at the factory.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad