Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite spinning setup for trout(line, rod reel)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

What he said. Though last season I got back into the Rooster Tails a bit, getting a lot of fish on the tawny-brown/gold bladed one. My reel is a small six-bearing Abu Garcia.
    Me three. The brookies here seem to prefer the dark PM with light colored spots, though both are good. Larger streams/rivers and larger trout, mostly browns, I'll use a little bigger rod and reel combo and minnows are hard to beat. On some of the really small brush lined streams as mentioned above, I'll use a long fly rod that I can poke through the brush without spooking the fish. I generally use garden hackels or snails in that situation. I'd rather catch 8-10" brook trout than 5 pound bass. I'd rather eat them, too.
    Last edited by SingleShot; 01-22-2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleShot View Post

Me three. The brookies here seem to prefer the dark PM with light colored spots, though both are good. Larger streams/rivers and larger trout, mostly browns, I'll use a little bigger rod and reel combo and minnows are hard to beat. On some of the really small brush lined streams as mentioned above, I'll use a long fly rod that I can poke through the brush without spooking the fish. I generally use garden hackels or snails in that situation. I'd rather catch 8-10" brook trout than 5 pound bass. I'd rather eat them, too.
      Yep, lots of lake tributaries with really big fish around here, but I tend toward the little cow-pasture cricks that I have pretty much to myself, even on the first few weekends. I'd love to catch big spawning rainbows all day, but it just isn't worth dealing with the crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough Dave View Post
        On the mountain streams I use a 5' ugly stick ultralight with a Shakespeare microspin ultralight closed spinning reel and 4# line. xender discord omegle On the rivers and lakes I use a 6'6" ugly stick light action with a Shakespeare open face spinning reel and 20# spiderwire line.
        fast action(im8), Mitchell avocet 2 UL reel. 2lb test mostly use trout magnets
        Last edited by ADYLATYSA; 10-07-2019, 06:37 PM.

Comment

For stocked trout I’ll just go with a little 4 foot setup with a small reel run 6 lb line. For bigger trout I like a 9 foot noodle rods with a class 2 or 3 reel and run 6lb line.

Comment

Originally posted by tlkntrout09 View Post
            What's your favorite spinning setup for trout(line, rod reel)?
            I use a 6 foot Eagle claw ultra lite rod, 308 Mitchell reel and 2 pound test royal Bonnel line

Comment

I just picked up a Berkley Glow Rod. In the handle are 3 AAA batteries and inside the rod are LED's that are blue light and shine up to the tip. I guess it was made for shore fishermen. 6'6" and med heavy - maybe designed for catfish.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                I just picked up a Berkley Glow Rod. In the handle are 3 AAA batteries and inside the rod are LED's that are blue light and shine up to the tip. I guess it was made for shore fishermen. 6'6" and med heavy - maybe designed for catfish.
                So they do have led lights in it. Is there an on and off switch to it. That’s what I’m thinking it’s a catfish rod for night time fishing.

Comment

SL, At the end of the handle is a round switch the same diameter of the handle that rotates one way on and back the other way is off. and then there is a end cap after that. I had heard of these years ago and always wanted to try one out. Sometimes you will see one on e-bay.

Comment

I use a 4' ultra lite rod with a tiny Zebco reel.

Comment

I use a vintage 6ft Fenwick Feralite it is a very light action almost like a fly rod. I have it paired with a vintage Shimano X-2000 Quickfire. It was my grandfathers light trout setup. Fishing with it is kind of like having him around for one last cast.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad