Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have six kids, and I take them fishing with me. I want high quality gear, but I am afraid of the kids breaking it. Do you th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have six kids, and I take them fishing with me. I want high quality gear, but I am afraid of the kids breaking it. Do you th

I have six kids, and I take them fishing with me. I want high quality gear, but I am afraid of the kids breaking it. Do you think I should get the higher quality gear, or stick with the gear that won't break my wallet to replace when the kids break it?

If you buy Ugly Sticks and they break you can return them for new ones. Ugly Sticks have a lifetime guarantee.

Comment

I would recommend going the economical route and upgrading as the kids grow a little older and more experienced. That is the way I was brought up, I got hand me downs from my dad or my uncles and then learned to appreciate it and really understand how to use different equipment.

Once this was established it meant a whole lot more to me when I recieved a rod and reel and when I purchsed my own equipment I remembered the lessons I learned as a child.

It's your call, but with 6 kids I would go the economical route for now and make sure they really are going to stick with fishing and they will grow into their own skill level and you can make equipment upgrades from there.

Comment

I would recommend going the economical route and upgrading as the kids grow a little older and more experienced. That is the way I was brought up, I got hand me downs from my dad or my uncles and then learned to appreciate it and really understand how to use different equipment.

Once this was established it meant a whole lot more to me when I recieved a rod and reel and when I purchsed my own equipment I remembered the lessons I learned as a child.

It's your call, but with 6 kids I would go the economical route for now and make sure they really are going to stick with fishing and they will grow into their own skill level and you can make equipment upgrades from there.

Comment

I would recommend that you go the economical route and as the kids become more skilled and older then you can upgrade the tackle.

This is the way I was raised, I recieved hand me downs from my dad and my uncles until i really learned the equipment and understood what it took to maintain and keep the equipment in good working order

As the kids develop their skills and really take to the sport then you can upgrade the tackle.

Comment

as a sixteen year old my fishing rods have been through everything and they are all ugly sticks it defiantly the way to go its a great rod too great sensitivity and strength and if you want to you can throw a pretty good reel on there with it if you dont like the reek it comes with

Comment

Buy an ugly stick, there a good compromise between price and durability.

Comment

If you trust the older and more mature ones, buy them some good gear but don't overload. For the younger, more kiddish ones, make sure they're having fun. If they would rather have a Spiderman reel instead of high priced one, I'd say let them. You don't want them to hate fishing at a young age, because then it will be hard to get them back into it.

Comment

It's hard to beat the old tried and true Zebco spin cast rod and reel. Cheap, easy to use and wears well.

Comment

im only 14 id let the kids pick their own rods as long as you can trust them they dont necesaraly want an expensive rod. let the use what ever their comfortable with when their older and more experienced let them get the more expensice rods so you know their going to stick with it and not abuse the gear

Comment

I'd use Ugly Sticks and Zebco. Btw my US's I use on the river carry a 7 year warranty.

Comment

I agree with the less expensive route as in zebco or ugly stick. But as far as the spongebob/ disney character fishing set-ups, get your kids a disney character lunch box if they want it, but do yourself and your kids a favor and stay far away from the disney character type fishing set-ups. They are very poor quality and will almost certainly set you and your kids up for a frustrating experience.

Comment

First of all, wow six kids, when do you find time to fish...

Stick with the lower end stuff, kids tend to be pretty reckless with things, you don't just want to throw money away.

Comment

Go cheap when they are young then when they get older and they want to take up fishing splurge a little more.

Comment

You can't go wrong with Ugly Sticks. They are extremely durable and yet sensitive enough for catching smaller fish such as crappie. Kids will almost always lay a pole down and step on it, and if you get cheao rods your just going to have to keep buying cheap rods because their gonna break. Get a couple of the 5'3" Ugly Stick combos for about $20-$30 dollars each and oyu won't be disapointed. By the way thanks for keeping fishing alive with your kids!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by FirstBubba
                                Ya know bhr!
                                I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals, fly...
                                Today, 03:40 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Up to November should be a very interesting time ! The D’s should have a easy time in that any criticism of Harris will result in racism/sexism charges...
                                Today, 03:34 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                That QAnon crap is so far out there. Ridiculous. Unbelievable that so many Americans are buying into it. But hey, why should I be surprised. National...
                                Today, 03:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X