Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to take my nephew trout fishing at a local stream. We are going to use spinning gear, but I just wanted to ask about g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to take my nephew trout fishing at a local stream. We are going to use spinning gear, but I just wanted to ask about g

I'm going to take my nephew trout fishing at a local stream. We are going to use spinning gear, but I just wanted to ask about green monofilament fishing line. I have heard green fishing line is perfect for trout mainly Trilene and Stern. Should I get clear line or green line; and what brands do you guys recommend? Thank You.

I always use green but when they don't have it I use clear. Really don't notice a difference. Stren, Trilene, they all work. Really not something you need to over engineer

Comment

i don't notice a difference but in the stream i tie on a lead line of 4lb line to 6 lb line

Comment

I use 2 lb. or 4 lb. Royal Bonnel for Abul Garcia. It is a very limp line and the lures or bait seem to act natural when I use them. I only fish streams. Also it gives me great range when throwing spinners especially the 2 lb. line. I don't know what the official color is but it looks brown to me.

Comment

All the lines suggested above are great lines. I don't think the line you use will be a limitation although we all seem to gravitate to our personal favorites over time. I use Trilene XL in clear for casting trout spinners and little crank baits. It is limp and casts well. If the fish are likely to be small, I use 4 pound line or even less. If they are likely to be world records, I use 6 pound line. I've had good luck casting the Panther Martin and the tiny Rapala. Best of luck!

Comment

i don't know how big of a fish you're after, but i use 8 pound test Yozuri hybrid for mainline and leader and it practically disappears underwater

Comment

Key is you do want a LIMP, mono, not a HARD mono. Line mfgers can make both kinds. Hard can be used on the bait caster reels, but causes line problems on a spinning reel. Different water colors match up with different line colors that create the blend in and invisible effect. Some streams have a naturally different color looking water due to the bottom structure than other rivers...color is no biggie really. A number of spin anglers like the "YELLOW" line because they see the line above the water better, and know where their lure is more so than other color lines. For Berkley...XL is their limp line, and XT their hard mono.

Comment

i like to use 2 lb. green line. i perfer Mono.all brands work

Comment

Color on your main line is somewhat irrelevant as your leader will be closest to the fish's eyes. If you're concerned about wary fish you may choose to use fluorocarbon which has light refracting properties most similar to water and theoretically is "invisible". If your nephew is new to fishing I suggest you use a soft monofilament which will be a little more forgiving on over excited hook sets and over anxious reeling. I find that with trout fishing, I'll use a cheaper brand of line and save my money for the steelhead/salmon gear as the trout where I fish seldom reach epic proportions. Good fishing to you and your nephew, you're a good uncle.

Comment

Stren 6lb or 4lb clear or green. Both work just as well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad