Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you find Powerbait Trout Nuggets or Dough effective? What color do you use? How do you fish it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you find Powerbait Trout Nuggets or Dough effective? What color do you use? How do you fish it?

Do you find Powerbait Trout Nuggets or Dough effective? What color do you use? How do you fish it?

on a small (size 16 or 18) treble hook with a split shot about 16 inches up the line from the hook.
    Try chartreuse, pink, or orange they all work pretty well.

Comment

IVE FOUND POWER BAIT VERY INEFFECTIVE ON FISH THOUGH I HAVE NEVER TRIED THE TROUT DOUGH OR NUGGETS

Comment

The trout nuggets are pretty good on stocker trout, but that's about it. Wild trout are too smart for that stuff.

Comment

I trout fish down-stream from the hatchery, so I make my own bait because I've never had much luck w/ Powerbait. I mix hatchery pellets (they sell them out of a gum-ball machine so you can feed the fish in the hatchery tanks) w/river water, flour, and molasses. Get it thick, and pack some on a little treble w/ a split shot 18" up the line, and voila', you're using homemade bait to catch dinner.

Comment

I am with shane. I have had good luck on stocked fish, but the wild ones seem to wonder why a day-glo salmon egg is floating down the stream.

Comment

I have had pretty good luck with both the dough and the nuggets. I prefer the yellow. NOT chartruese but yellow. I fish it with a weight above a barrel swivel about 12-16" of leader and a small hook. Cast and let drift, tumble or sit. Pretty dull way to fish if they ain't biting, but it beats sitting at the house.

Comment

I'm with Dan. Pretty boring, but beats being at school, work, or on the couch. I've had a little luck with the Yum Troutkrilla in chartruese. I only use it if nothing else will work because it's such a boring way to fish (my opinion).

Comment

I have very good luck with lime green colored power bait. I put the hook at the end of the line and a weight about two feet above it toss it out and have a cold one.

Comment

I have caught several steelhead trout in northeastern ohio on power bait. Thes baits have ranged from preformed to the basic dough style. I have found when fishing the dough bait heres the easiest way to place it on a hook.
                    Take your finger and scoop out a piece of dough. Form a ball with the dough and place it in mesh sack. Tie off the sack and place the sack on an 8 or 10 size hook. Above the hook 8-12 inches place some spit shot, above the shot place your bobber or float.
                    Let the bait bounce along the bottome. It may take several casts to hook a fish. Also remember that if one color doesn't work you may have to change colors.

Comment

i use them for bluegill and pumpkinseed in my local creek

they work good

Comment

White powerbait trout nuggets fished with size 16 treble hook and a little splitshot weight about 5 inches up work the best !

Comment

where i live, me and a few friends of mine use powerbait for trout, we have used plain white, blue/yellow mix, and green/yellow/orange mix, and have caught trout on every one. we use a small split shot size a size 10 hook and they just keep biting.

Comment

i use the lime green and i just treat it like a jig that way the looks and smell get the trout to bite. if they aint bitin..they aint bitin though so it mite not always work.

Comment

Agreed with DanInArkinsaw answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad