Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which bait do you recomend when fishing for rainbows at a hatchery stream where trout are released into the stream from the hatc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which bait do you recomend when fishing for rainbows at a hatchery stream where trout are released into the stream from the hatc

Which bait do you recomend when fishing for rainbows at a hatchery stream where trout are released into the stream from the hatchery every night. Powerbait nuggets, or rooster tails??

Panther martins work better than rooster tails do because of the way that the blade is positioned. Anyways, I would use panther martins first. If they aren't interested in panther martins, switch to the powerbait. I think it just depends on what mood they are in that day.

Comment

Give yourself every opportunity to catch the fish, don't just go with one bait, be prepared by having a choice so you can adjust to bite.

jlfreeborn, good call on the panther martins.

Comment

I have had the best luck from powerbait when it comes to hatchery fish. but as the guy above mentioned, have a choice in baits.

Comment

I'd find out what the hatcheries use to feed the trout and try to find something as close to that as possible.

Comment

Anything that looks like a feed pellet! I know of a fellow who makes an imitation of a feed pellet using small brown corks, he even paints them. He has caught some huge trout in artificial only trophy trout streams where the trout are fed daily with those little gems on a fly rod!

Comment

troutman11,
              Remember it depends on where you fish on the stream. In Mo above a certain point is artificial bait only, below that point it's live or similar stuff like powerbait, which works good. Some good stuff to use is what you make yourself. Buy some of the pellets they're fed and crush them up. Mix them with cream cheese and plenty of garlic powder, garlic flakes is best. There seems to be something I'm leaving out but that's for you to experiment and find out.

Comment

I use little spinners.the middle part behind the blade looks sort of like a teardrop. have plenty of colors to chose from to adjust to what the fish are biting.when all else fails i use orange or green powerbait with sparkles.

Comment

They both sound good. I like Mepps spinners as well as Rooster Tails.

Comment

I like to try a little bit of everything when I go trout fishing. Powerbait works good, wax worms work, and red worms, and as for lures, I like Roostertails, Mepps, Panther Martins and depending on the size of the fish brown/rainbow trout color Rapalas.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad