Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else wear polarized sunglasses with bi-focals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else wear polarized sunglasses with bi-focals.

Anybody else wear polarized sunglasses with bi-focals.

Well, my superhuman powers have left my body and I have been forced to wear bi-focals to see anything up close. I purchased a pair at BPS this week and took them out for a spin on the Colorado River. (I struck out but thank you for asking). They were great in the store but I found I had trouble walking or seeing where I was stepping due to the break line in the lense was distorting my field of vision I used to see where I'm stepping. I haven't tried the the flip down models but was curious if anyone else has the same problem or if they have purchased a better model than I have.

Comment

Last pair of glasses I bought have gradient bifocals matched with magnetically attached polarized lenses. They work okay. I still need magnifiers for some flies, though. I usually wear contacts so carry around strong magnifiers and polarized sunglasses strung around my neck.

Comment

I have a pair on in my avatar.

Comment

No but the recent pair made for me are the transition type. The more uv's the darker they get. But they are not considered sunglasses because they can't be polarized as such. If your new to bifocals just be careful especially on stairs. In no time you'll get used to them.

Comment

I recently joined the crowd of bifocal needers. I got prescription bifocal readers and had oakley make a pair of bifocals polarized they work great. the reason I say this is maybe the ones you got are to strong or you need different strengths for each eye. I am not an optomotrist but the is axis and other things measured. BTW not rich just a great discount from Oakley.

Comment

Buckhunter, I've got some hopefully very useful information for you. I too recently started to use bifocals and found the same problem with stairs that I hear you mention and that I heard my dad complain about many decades ago. I have found some good ways to deal it too.

Stairs tend to make you look through the bottom of your glasses and the reading lenses screw you up there. Try peeking under the rim of your glasses to find that even your naked eye in most cases can see stairs better than if you try to look through your reading lenses.

You can tilt your head down, radically so that you are looking through your distance lenses at the stairs. You can peek under the lower rim of your lenses if you want to struggle with that too. I go a different route.

I use a bifocal on only one side. This gives me one good reading eye and still gives me one good middle distance eye that also works for distance when viewing through the bottom of my lens.

I have chosen to make my left eye the eye that I use for far and medium distance, without the reading lens. I use the right eye for reading. There are a few reasons but the biggest reasons for me are 1) when driving a left hand drive car and I turn my eyes over to see the side mirror I don't get interference from the reading lens in my eye that is closest to the outside mirror. 2) My right eye is the weakest one and so it enjoys the reading boost more.

You might try to turn your head real far to one side as you walk the stairs then, maybe your reading lenses won't interfere with the eyes' ability to look both far and down close through the same lens without having to lift and drop your head every time you try to look far and then near.

I hope this is understandable and I really hope that it helps someone.

Comment

P.S. You can buy stick on bifocals that will allow you to ad a single reading lens to your sunglasses. Find out what magnification you need by trying reading glasses in the drug store first.

If you plan to add a stick on reading bifocal to prescription glasses then you will need to learn more about optics to know that to order so that the net result between your prescription and your add on bifocal will be the right strenth.

Comment

I don't have it right now!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad