Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do do you catch blueback trout? They always seem to elude me when fishing for them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do do you catch blueback trout? They always seem to elude me when fishing for them

how do do you catch blueback trout? They always seem to elude me when fishing for them

never heard've 'em

Comment

Me either. Where are you fishing for them?

Comment

up in maine

Comment

BLUE BACK TROUT ARE A SEA RUN CUT THROAT FISH THAT STAYS IN THE OCEAN FOR 4 YRS AND THEN RETURNS TO THEIR SPAWNING GROUNDS, USUALLY GOING FROM A RIVER UP A CREEK TO WHERE THEY WERE HATCHED...THEY ARE ONE OF THE MOST ELUSIVE FISHES EVER TO CATCH...WE USED TO CATCH THEM ON A BACK WATER FROM THE CHEHALIS RIVER IN WA STATE...THE FISH WERE RETURNING UP THE CEDAR CREEK CREEK TO THEIR SPAWNING GROUNDS....TO CATCH THESE BUGGERS..USE A SPOON COMBO RIGGINF OF SILVER SPOONS W/14" OF LEADER THE ATTACH A DIVER AND THEN 1/2 OZ OF SINKER THAT HAS EYES ON BOTH ENDS...USE A LARGE NITECRAWLER ON THE HOOK AND MAKE SURE THE HOOK IS COVERED, NO HOOK POINT SHOWING....START TROLLING W/THE SPOONS AND LET OUT 40-50 FT. OF LINE TROLL SLOWLLY UNTIL YOU FEEL THE RIGGING START TO WORK....WHEN YOU HOOK ONE THEY WILL START TO RUN AND DIVE..MAKE SURE U KEEP A SNUG LINE ON THEM...THEY WILL GO DEEP AND THEN RUN FOR THE SURFACE AND LEAP OUT OF THE WATER 3-4'..MAKE SURE U HAVE A TIGHT LINE OR ELSE THEY WILL THROW THE RIGGING OUT AND BE GONE...IN THE EVENT U LOOSE ONE U MITE AS WELL CALL IT A DAY, THEY WILL NOT BITE AGAIN....BEEN THERE DONE THAT...ANOTHER DEVICE IS A FLORESANT FLAT FISH W/3 SPLIT SHOT ABOUT 6" FROM THE FISH...TROOL THE SAME WAY U USE SPOONS....THEY RANGE FROM 3-7 LBS DEPENDING ON HOW HEALTHY THEY ARE...I HAVEN'T HEARD OF BLUE BACK IN THE EASTERN STATES JUST THE WEST COAST....

Comment

Bluback trout are a subspecies of the rainbow trout. Their scientific name is Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus f. beardsleei. They're also known as beardslee trout.

They are native exclusively to Lake Crescent in Washington state and spawn in the Lyre River.

Comment

Blue Slough by Cosmopolis, Wa after July 4th. Fish at night and use chunks of sucker(squawfish) bait. I fish from the bank, drink beer, and catch more than I care to admit. One time I caught one this big.

Comment

I have also heard blueback trout refered to Kokanee salmon.

Comment

Great answer fishman292 and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I grew up on the banks of the chehalis river.
                    A blueback is a sea run cuttroat trout. thay run from about the middle of july to about the end of september. They get bigger tward the end of the run. My advise to you is to go im the early morning before the sun comes up or at night just before the sun sets. perferably when the sun sets. They can be caught during the day if you find a nice shady spot in the river. But its better during sun up or sun down. when looking for a spot on the chehalis, look for a slow moving area where you would use a really small slip sinker or no weight. when you arive at your fishing destination walk up on the fishing hole slowly and dont bring your dog. sudden movments scare these fish easily. For bait i use a whole nightcrawler with shrimp oil. they will bite without the shrimp oil but its better with, or if you catch a suckerfish or a squawfish. they work to. Just cut fillets off the fish and dont git the white meat dirty. Also cut the skin off the meat. make sure there are no bones in the meat.this also can be used with or without shrimp oil. better with shrimp oil. Use a worm hook with about three feet of leader between your hook and swival. small slip if nessisary. I like to use 4-6 pound test maxima. thats all that is needed.

well goodluck fishin
                    fishin kid

Comment

The blueback trout that you are asking about is a subspecies of the arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus) and is found only in the northeast North America and in a couple of lakes in the Rockies where they were stocked. It is simlar to the Sunapee trout. The are often caught by fly fishing and rarely exceed 4 lbs.

The bluebacks that are mentioned above are different fish and are, as mentioned, subspecies of rainbow trout and cutthroat trout. Kokanee are landlocked sockeye salmon.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                        by 99explorer
                        The latest rumors on the pandemic.
                        They have just discovered that drinking cow urine protects against COVID-19.
                        Who'd have thunk it?
                        Today, 10:38 PM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by 99explorer
                        I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                        Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                        Today, 10:19 PM
                      • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                        by FirstBubba
                        "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                        Today, 10:15 PM
                      • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                        by derek7
                        Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                        08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X