Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high or low barometer, which is best for fishing

high or low barometer, which is best for fishing

A wise man knows when to say "I don't know". I, on the other hand, will take a stab at this. Although I can't quote any science behind it, I have always had the best luck when the barometer is fairly high and starts to plunge. Several of my biggest fish have come while I was stupidly trying to make one more cast before getting struck by lightning. NOTE: I would not recommend this. At first sign of lightning, on or beside water is not a good place to be.

Comment

Medium high. Those high pressure "bluebird days" don't seem to produce as well.

Comment

smae as shane

Comment

same as Huntandtrap09.

Comment

I will fish when ever I get the chance, but high pressue days seem to be less productive for me.

Comment

high barometer

Comment

high barometer

Comment

I have always caught more and bigger fish just before fronts start coming in or within a day of a storm approaching. I have found that once the barometer bottoms out the fishing is not as good so I would say the best fishing is as the barometer is falling. This often means fishing on the water five to ten minuets before the storm hits. This can be dangerous due to lighting and seven foot lightning rods but if you are willing to take the risk I have found it to be worth it!

Comment

Would have to agree with rabbitpolice, I always have the best luck when the barometer is falling. But I will go out whenever I can, because fishing is fun regardless of what you catch. Just like everyone always says, a bad day of fishing sure beats a good day of work.

Comment

When a front is expected, I always go fishing. Especially in the summer. So when the pressure is dropping i produce more fish bites

Comment

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SceneSevenDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10151&la ngId=-1&productId=41626&scene7Path=BassPro%2f426-656-00a%3flayer%3dcomp%26wid%3d500%26hei%3d500%26fmt%3 djpeg%26qlt%3d100%2c0%26op_sharpen%3d0%26resMode%3 dtrilin%26op_usm%3d0.0%2c1.0%2c0.0%2c0%26iccEmbed% 3d0&sourceName=images2%2f400-000%2f426-656-00a.jpg&type=0&linkEnabled=false

From the lovely folks at Bass Pro. Its a fishing barometer.

Comment

well I think it depens on what fish you are fishing for

Comment

Falling barometer for me.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad