Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the west branch of the penobscot river in maine. There is a famous pool called big eddy pool on that stream. These are season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the west branch of the penobscot river in maine. There is a famous pool called big eddy pool on that stream. These are season

On the west branch of the penobscot river in maine. There is a famous pool called big eddy pool on that stream. These are seasoned salmon and are next to impossible to catch. They rise all day and night. If any of you have fished in this stretch of river or know any stories about what flies to use on the stream. I need info, it just drives me nuts when I fish there for three days and the only fish I caught I snared on accident. I need help!!!!!

Try traditional salmon flies Ex. Green butt skunks.
    Here is a good site on salmon and steelhead flys and how to tie them.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/

Comment

I was up there last year and I had salmon rising within spitting distance from me. I could see that there were no flies on the surface so I tied on a gray ghost and I caught a few small ones no big ones so i don't think that smelts were what they were feeding on but hey I caught a few. What time of year do you find is the best time? One of my buddies went up there opening day and sled 'em.

Comment

Great Link Alex and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

late answer but a double nymph using a small midge with a hares ear 4 inches down . don't fish on the rocks, wade slowly in where the stream enters, move slowly, and roll cast left above the pool with a drift into the pool letting the flies sink. twitch the rod tip as the drift pulls the line taught so the two flies rise. repeat .. september size 20 emerger , black tail, grey body, black hackle fished with a split shot ...sink and rise..

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad