Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im going to try to use spoons for trout for the first time this seaso...any reccomedations on rigs or how to use ?them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im going to try to use spoons for trout for the first time this seaso...any reccomedations on rigs or how to use ?them

im going to try to use spoons for trout for the first time this seaso...any reccomedations on rigs or how to use ?them

small gold colored spoons have worked best for me, tied directly to the line, no swivel. Cast diagonally upstream and slowly retieve across the current. In deeper pools i'll sometimes flip the rod tip up and down while retrieving so it swims up then falls, like jigging but still retrieving line gently.

Comment

Little Cleos, Krokodiles, Tasmanian Devils. Fish them up and across the current with just enough retrieve to keep the line taught.
      Or, tie on a spoon, remove the hook, add 18 inches of line, and a bait-holder with a nightcrawler on it. Fling that out into the lake and see what happens.

Comment

Little Cleos and small Dardevils. The Dardevils come in so many sizes and colors.

Comment

Little Cleos work great and they are lead free so you can use them anywhere. I usualy tie them right to the line, but if you are worried about twisting you line you can tie a barrel swivel about 18 inches up.

Comment

castmasters in copper and in blue/silver work good as do classic daredevils. Phoebes also work very good on brook trout

Comment

The three colors, Copper, Gold, Silver, all work well. I use the Al's Goldfish in gold or copper colors with good success.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad