Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you rig a split-shot rig?? i want to use this to fish small soft plastics in a small pool for trout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you rig a split-shot rig?? i want to use this to fish small soft plastics in a small pool for trout.

how do you rig a split-shot rig?? i want to use this to fish small soft plastics in a small pool for trout.

I would put the split-shot about 12-14 inches above the lure.

Comment

Then you want to use ultra light tackle. Use 6-8 lb line, a light spinning reel, and obviously a small hook, say a 4 or 5. Lovetohunts got the split shot right, though you can raise and lower the weight amount and distance from the hook.

Comment

what size split shot...am i looking for something tiny or medium sized...does this work with lures

Comment

or just live bait?

Comment

Crimp a piece of shot, two or three feet above the rigged bait. I mostly distance the shot, about 18 to 24 inches above the bait. It is imperative to use only round shot without the tabs. The tabs will always catch on the weeds/rocks and hinder your rig. Use size 2 or 4 shot.
            Make sure you don't fray the line when you crimp the shot on it.

You can use bait, plastics and crank baits. I had a buddy who won a tournament using the split-shot technique, with a craw-dad crank bait for obvious reasons.

This is useful too, when fishing water, following a boat, which is a common occurrence when fishing tournaments.

If your aren't familiar with this technique, practice it until you get the feel for it. This combination is also deadly when cold fronts have passed through your area.

Also your bite can be quite different, instead of a hard hit strike or the usual tap-tap, it will feel kind of "mushy," as if there has been some added weight to the end of the line, and generally the fish will hook itself.

Good Luck and let us know how it works!

Comment

the size of the split shot will depend on the depth of the pool and the current. You want the lure to get down into the pool, yet you don't want it anchored to the bottom either.

Comment

it works great with lures, i recommend the small gulp! minnows and worms for trout.

Comment

you should put the split shot about 6-8 inches above the hook

Comment

i prefer to put the shot about 7-10 inches above the hook and then just drift a white trout magnet through any hole those fish will slam it

Comment

i prefer to put the shot about 7-10 inches above the hook and then just drift a white trout magnet through any hole those fish will slam it

Comment

by the way i think a tiny would work a bit better on my southwestern pa streams but that all depends on your depth most of the creeks by me are at the most 6 feet deep in the biggest pools

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad