Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when fishing for large trout, you guys said to use minnows. I'm wondering if the mepps commit is just as good at catching fish,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when fishing for large trout, you guys said to use minnows. I'm wondering if the mepps commit is just as good at catching fish,

when fishing for large trout, you guys said to use minnows. I'm wondering if the mepps commit is just as good at catching fish, because of the small minnow on the back.

All spinners and spoons are designed to look like minnows. So attaching a rubber minnow on a spinner doesn't seem to make a difference to me except that it hurts the spinning action. The benefit with a real minnow is the taste, smell and the advantage of not having to keep a speed like a spinner/spoon. I don't like using spinners with a rubber minnow on it personally.

Comment

Few, if any, spinners and spoons are as good as live or salted minnows. However, if you find the right one and fish it right, artificials can be deadly too (and more sporting in my opinion). So I'd say experiment and practice and see which one(s) work for you. Then you can have a tackle box of go anywhere lures so you don't have to worry about live bait restrictions or having minnies on hand if an inpromptu trip comes up.

Comment

I really don't like the action on that mepps spinner. The rubber minnow looks weird and the action doesn't seem right.

Comment

Yes. My buddy at school here sometimes uses Mepps and he says that he has caught trout on them.

Comment

Another good spinner is Panther Martins

Comment

Try to avoid minnows for environmental reasons. Can't tell you how many lakes have been wrecked with trash species that were introduced as bait minnows.

Minnows are expensive and they don't last very long if your casting or the bite is on. If you know what you're doing you can do just as well with a good spinner or streamer fly. I agree, the action on those rubber minnow spinners is crappy. It is hard to find better action than what you can get with a maribou streamer worked the right way.

Comment

I like fishing with minnows but Ontario Honker is right, they can be very destructive to a lake if released. In all the states that I have lived in minnows must be dead to fish with and no fish or minnow can leave a body of water alive. I don't know why every state is like this, NEVER release your baitfish! I like fishing with dead minnows over worm anyday.

Comment

Big trout eat little fish! I like to use a Yo-zuri Penns minnow. Wal-mart 6 bucks.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad