Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a good recipe for Spanish Mackerel? I have a freezer full of the things, and I've never cooked any. Living on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Spanish Mackerel with White Wine Sauce
    2 cups white wine
    3 TBSP wine vinegar
    3 TBSP olive oil
    2 onions, cut into thin slices
    1 carrot, thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3/4 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp coriander seeds
    8 peppercorns
    8 parsley sprigs
    2 bay leaves
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 pounds Spanish Mackerel fillets
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1. In a medium stainless-steel saucepan, combine the wine, vinegar, oil, onions, carrot, garlic, thyme, coriander, peppercorns, parsley, bay leaves, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook for 10 minutes.

2. Oil a heavy flameproof 9-by-13-inch stainless-steel or enamel pan. Put the fish, skin-side down, in the pan in an even layer. Pour the hot wine broth on the fish, spread the vegetables over the fillets in an even layer, and sprinkle with the ground pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat.

3. Reduce the heat and cook at a gentle simmer until the fish is just done, about 10 minutes for 1/2-inch-thick fillets. Remove the parsley and bay leaves. Serve in shallow bowls!!!

Leave a comment:

• blackdawgz
    replied
    Throw them away. There is nothing worse than frozen mackerel. Go get some fresh ones. Skin them. That dark strip than runs down the sides is a sense organ that is used to locate predators and prey. It is very bitter. Get a razor-sharp knife and remove it. Cut a fillet off one side. Dip in corn meal batter and deep fry. You will find them to be unsurpassed.

Leave a comment:

• deanlikes2fish
    replied
    Plank it on the grill, get a cedar plank, soak the plank in water(make sure it is submerged in the water) put the wet plank on a hot grill put the fish on that rub some lemon pepper on it and wait until its flaky. Maple works really well for this too.

Leave a comment:

replied
    An easily modified recipe is oil a baking pan, add fillets skin down and brush flesh with oil and bake for about 20mins on 350*, then broil for about 5 to crisp up the tops. I say easily modified, b/c adding lemon, sesame, pepper, whatever you like, still seems to come out amazing. In my oppinion, this is second only to a grill over wood.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Grilled or broiled with lemmon butter! They don't tend to freeze well due to their high oil content but I have had luck freezing fillets using a vaccum bagger.

Leave a comment:

• VT Outdoorsman
    replied
    PS. also like Cermele said, grill it dont fry it. I grill all of my saltwater fish and they taste damn good.

Leave a comment:

• VT Outdoorsman
    replied
    I would do something similar to what Cermele said....but sprinkle some chopped scallions on it before serving. The scallions are a nice contrast to the soy sauce marinade and the flavor of the mackerel.

Leave a comment:

• texasfirst
    replied
    Speaking from (delicious) experience: steak out the king fresh, don't freeze it. Marinate steaks in Italian salad dressing for 6-12 hours. Fire up the grill, using real wood like mesquite or oak. Grill the steaks, and throw a pat of butter on each one before you take it off the grill, just after you've flipped it. This, my friend, is the way to prepare king mackerel for eatin'!

Leave a comment:

• HillbillyDeluxe
    replied
    You could fry it. haha. I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• Joe_Cermele
    replied
    I'd go grilled, grilled, or grilled here. The flesh of a Spanish is too firm, like tuna, to fry in my opinion. Not a good batter fish. Try this if you want something different:

In a Ziploc mix 1/4-cup soy sauce, 2 cloves minced garlic, tablespoon lime juice, teaspoon seasme oil, tablespoon ground fresh ginger, teaspoon honey, few splashes of rice wine vinegar.

Marinate the fillets in there for 3 to 4 hours. Then get just a little mayo and mix it with equal amount Chinese hot mustard. Take the fillets out of the bag, brush on just one thin coating of mayo/mustard mix and grill.

I used this on all fish with similar flesh...Spanish, Atlantic bonito, blackfin tuna, albacore.

Leave a comment:

• Does anyone have a good recipe for Spanish Mackerel? I have a freezer full of the things, and I've never cooked any. Living on

Does anyone have a good recipe for Spanish Mackerel? I have a freezer full of the things, and I've never cooked any. Living on the Gulf Coast, we have three basic ways to cook anything: fried, fried, and fried.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad