Preferred Dungeness Crabbing Bait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred Dungeness Crabbing Bait?

Out of curiosity, what do you guys use as crab bait for Dungeness crabs? I've used chicken and rotting fish before, but I'm interested in trying some new stuff to see if it attracts the crabs effectively. All I know for sure is that it should be very smelly to attract enough of them. Anyone used any crab attractant? There are a few on the market that I've found @ https://crabsman.com/best-bait-for-crabbing/ but I wanna know if anyone else has tried them to supplement their bait and whether or not it increased their yield:
    Last edited by Crabsman; 07-05-2020, 04:10 PM.

Fish scraps work fine in a trap. My favorite way to catch crabs is to dangle a chicken wing on a string on the bottom. Just tie it to a short pole (PVC) or a limb etc. I also like to anchor and drop lines. Usually, within minutes one or two has latched onto the wing and won't let go. You gently pull them to the surface and dip them out with a net. I'd catch more in an afternoon than with traps and it's kind of fun. Some do let go but most just don't want to lose the wing.

Comment

I always thought they were caught in big traps with whatever chum was cheapest?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad