Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best type of bait to use this time of the year for stripers and blues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best type of bait to use this time of the year for stripers and blues?

I'm going to be going surfcasting this upcoming weekend at Island Beach State Park in NJ. I was wondering what popular opinion says is the best bait to use this time of year for stripers and blues? Thanks!

It is a little early for stripers and blues in the surf but when they are in the bait of choice is bunker! That comes from my resident expert Barry Brittingham who fishes the Delaware surf down to the outer banks ! He also suggest plugs at night for the stripers and being early yet you may want to use finger mullet on a finger mullet rig. You are about 3 hrs north of the Delaware beaches so the action comes to your area a little earlier in the fall! Let us know how your trip works out. Good luck

Comment

I'm fishing fresh water stripers right now but have my casting rod loaded and ready to go with a long jointed bucktail popper plug in shad or herring color. It is about 6" long, casts forever and brings in stripers better than anything I've tried. I'm sure it would work well in the surf when they are there.

On the New England coast, I've caught more stripers on sea worms than any other live bait. If you can cast around a pass and let them drift out with the tide, you will catch stripers if they are there.

I surf cast for blues with a silver Gotcha plug. I use the fastest retrieve I can produce for blues. I've caught my share on a pink/white bullet shaped bucktail jig smoking through the water too.

Comment

Mullet and bunker are great Striper bait along with live sand eels. I am not sure if the bait shops will have eels in stock yet. If you don't find much action in the surf, try around the bridges, especially in the evening. Bridges in Jersey hold resident Stripers all year.

Comment

I would bring an array of lures and jigs. Right now they have been good on dannys and assorted topwater. Mag darters and colt snipers have been doing well also. I usually pack for every level of the water column. Topwater walk the dog and poppers, mag darters/colt sniper/sp minnows, and a few jigs. Check out housatonic lure company's line of minnows. Killed it all year and made local in ct.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
            by WA Mtnhunter
            I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
            Today, 10:39 PM
          • Season ends
            by Ontario Honker Hunter
            On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
            Today, 12:41 AM
          • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
            by Sarge01
            If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
            Today, 10:26 PM
          • Virginia Gun Confiscation !
            by bowhunter75richard
            Virginia legislature has dropped it’s AR-15 confiscation ruling. They have now stated those who presently own these weapons can continue to do so,...
            Today, 05:33 PM
          • Reply to Pet Peeves
            by fitch270
            My boy does the "I mean" thing quite often, usually when he's trying to think of how to explain something. I have no idea where he got it from,...
            Today, 10:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X