Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I fish out of Destin FL, and I have been trying to catch dorado in the area for a couple of years and haven't had any luck. Any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fish out of Destin FL, and I have been trying to catch dorado in the area for a couple of years and haven't had any luck. Any

I fish out of Destin FL, and I have been trying to catch dorado in the area for a couple of years and haven't had any luck. Any tips?

Are you fishing with a guide or alone?
    If alone I'd talk to guides in the area and find out what they are doing/using.
    Is there a "local" magazine that might carry this info for sale in your area?
    Check those too, they usualy have good tips in them too.

Comment

"Grass beds" are where it's at for chicken dolphin. Really floating mats of seaweed, they offer shade, and they harbor tons of tiny glass minnows and crustaceans. Troll along the edges with plugs or jigs. Have another rod ready for casting with something like a Gotcha lure, and circle back and cut the engines when you get into a school. Try to leave one fish in the water until someone hooks the next one, as dolphin are prone to a "feeding frenzy." It's usually an all or nothing proposition. They will either turn their noses up completely or you will load the boat with them.

Comment

I used to fish Destin... I would hit dolphin at about 7 miles offshore on out due south. As Armchair said, look for floating debri or grass and fish it. To find them troll balihoo behind a C&H Lil Stubby or a Wahoo Whacker. Use pink and blue or green/green skirts. When one hits, leave him in the water and cast jigs, bait fish or a variety of your favorite lures. They do get in a frenzy and try to outhit each other. Don't feel bad if you have to troll for a while to find them as that is not the best place in the gulf to find them but they will be there. Note that this rig also allows you to easily pick up King Mackeral, tuna and others while you hunt.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiGrBOshlh4

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad