Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need tips for surf fishing the eastern shore for good croaker or bluefish. I've tried but never had any luck. Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need tips for surf fishing the eastern shore for good croaker or bluefish. I've tried but never had any luck. Any ideas?

I need tips for surf fishing the eastern shore for good croaker or bluefish. I've tried but never had any luck. Any ideas?

I have used shrimp in the past. Never had much luck at this type of fishing either.

Comment

use shrimp and freshwater chad they seem to like them

Comment

Bluefish are a funny feeding fish, they'll eat anything and eat even when they are overflowing at the gills. Best thing I found is anything that imitates a herring or pogie, even chunked herring and pogies if surf fishing. Watch for birds and the water boiling on the surface, as that is usually a sign that a school of bluefish are on the blitz. Also during blitzes, surface plugs work well, also Rapala Shad Raps in Blue/Silver patterns.

Comment

Bluefish love big, ugly, bloody hunks of bait. Menhaden and herring are great. Fresh, rotten, or frozen will all work. Here's a fun trick for surf blues. Get a whiffle ball bat and cut the top off. Buy a bucket of frozen bunker or mackerel chum and let it thaw outside for two days or so before you go fishing.

Cast out your chunk baits, then fill the hollow bat with chum and sling it out into the waves. Brings them right in.

You can't go wrong with fresh clam for croakers. Use tiny hooks and tiny bait chunks, though

Comment

I live in inner maryland and hope to do some fishing in the bay also might help me too!!!

Comment

Daytona Beach in late april early may, fish off a pier and use mullet or 2 shrimp. when they're running it's fast and furious.

Comment

A few good chunks of bunker will get them all wrilled up. A heavy diving plug always seems to do the trick too. Just make sure its a quality plug, I've had blues rip apart a cheaper hollow body plug to pieces.

Comment

For blues use kastmasters or pencil poppers

Comment

I used shrimp all the time!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad