Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If y'all remember bout a week ago I asked a question regarding saltwater fishin. Before my break came to an end I did get to wet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If y'all remember bout a week ago I asked a question regarding saltwater fishin. Before my break came to an end I did get to wet

If y'all remember bout a week ago I asked a question regarding saltwater fishin. Before my break came to an end I did get to wet a line. I had a lot of fun, however, I didn't catch anything. I was really just happy to see open water.. How long did it take you fellows to land your first saltwater catch? What was it?

I grew up on the gulf coast with parents that had me fishing when I was still wearing three cornered pants. My father targeted mainly speckled trout so even though I was too young to actually remember, my first fish was probably a speck. As I got a little older, the first large fish that I remember is the striped bass in my avatar. That striper was caught on a South Bend 550A reel mounted on a steel True Temper rod using black braided Dacron Gudedrod line which sorta dates when I caught it. I do not know how long it took to land that fish, but it seemed like an eternity at the time. That fish got my picture in the local newspapers thus starting my reputation as a fisherman and laying the ground work for my destiny.

Comment

My first time on salt water was during the Army. I was on convalescent leave from being badly injured in patrol car crash. Went out with my mom and dad on a salmon charter. I caught my limit of three and the first was a 29 lb king. We were fishing off the Columbia Bar. I'm still catching salmon but have never broken the 30 lb barrier.

Comment

Ive been saltwater fishing my whole life so I was young, but as far as going your first time to a new area and probably fishing from the bank, it can be tough to find and catch fish like that. Hell I have a hard enough time finding fish from the bank and I know what I am doing in my area

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad