Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am on spring break south of myrtle beach and would like to try some fishing from the beach. Being a farm kid from indiana I kn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am on spring break south of myrtle beach and would like to try some fishing from the beach. Being a farm kid from indiana I kn

I am on spring break south of myrtle beach and would like to try some fishing from the beach. Being a farm kid from indiana I know little about saltwater. First I would like somebody to clear up what kind of license I need, somebody told me I didn't need one? Also if u could tell me what kind of bait to use, how far i need to cast, how I should rig up, and any tips in general.

As far as Salt Water goes a license is not required. BUT there are size requirements as far as species go. What you want to catch will dictate your bait. Strip Bass are a premium eating fish. I have always found that drifting clam bellies from shore on the out going tide. There is a rig with a sinker that has a slip ring that allows the bait to drift on the bottom. You can see a picture of my oldest with his first catch on my profile. He lost his first the previous year. He then took on the character Of Captain Ahab in Moby D!ck and has not changed in 12 years.

PS; Here on Long Island there are Beach Permits required to bring a truck on some state beaches. So you might want to look into it. That's all I got. Good Luck and Good Fishing. But be careful if you loose your first this hobby may become bigger than both of you.

Comment

On the license thing, always check with the local authorities. Rules and regs are different all across this great nation and ignorance of local laws is not usually accepted as an excuse. As to fishing, watch the local birds because they have a "bird's eye view" of the bait fish in an area. The larger fish have the same view of the bait fish, but from below. So if the birds are working the bait fish from above, it follows that the larger fish are working them from below. Casting to this location is a good way to start. As to bait, the best, of course, is to try to determine what the target fish is already eating. Try a bait net at the waters edge to catch some of the local bait fish and go from there. Local bait shops and other local fishermen are also a good source of information as to what is currently getting action.

Comment

Pay attention to Santa. Check the state regulations on whether or not you need a license to fish salt water. Bring some stout equipment. When I lived in Florida years ago I found a heavy mono leader, 30-pound test or so, usually worked pretty well. Ask around the local area about gear, lures and baits people are using and what fish to target. Bottom rigs with bait or jigs are generally good for surf fishing, but plugs and soft-plastics can be good too. One of the best investments I made when I lived near the coast was a small cast net for catching live bait. Fish incoming and outgoing tides. Take a nap, go swimming, etc. during slack tides. On many beaches, the bottom will gradually slope down, then drop off into a trough that’s formed by wave action and currents. Then there will be a shallower sand bar on the outside of the trough. Wade out far enough to cast into the trough. That’s often where the fish will be. If you see a lot of birds working an area, fish that spot.

Comment

Unless it was a ploy by the fishing charter I took you're required to have a fishing license to fish in Myrtle Beach. I bought a one day pass for something like $20 and a 3 day was around $30. As for how to fish from the beach I have never done so however last year when I went to Tybee Island the people there were using a 1-2oz egg sinker with a 2 foot leader off of it to allow their bait to swim around. They would go out as far as they could touch and then cast as far as they could, I'm guessing they were somewhere around a 150yds+ out with their bait. It worked for them because they caught quite a few fish and probably a dozen sharks up to 3 1/2' long. It was kind of unnerving seeing the sharks but it is the ocean after all. It's been several years since I fished in Myrtle Beach but the charter I used was out of Murrel's Inlet it had a large sailfish above the entry and it had all the information you'd need to figure this out. I would go to one of the local marina's and baitshop and talk to them they will hook you up with everything you need along with tips on your rig and bait to use.

Comment

You’re a college student on spring break in Myrtle Beach during the prime of your life?
            If I were in your shoes I would rather go beaver hunting on those salt water beaches? LOL
            Only Joking!

Get up early while your drunken buddies are sleeping off their morning hangovers and go fishing for redfish or speckled sea trout.
            Best of luck and have a blast!

Comment

Georgia requires that you have a non-resident fishing license to fish from shore. They are $45 for a year license and $5 for a one day license. You can buy them online at georgia dot gov or they may be available at a sporting goods store. You also need a Saltwater Information Program Permit which is free and available when you buy your license.

You could catch about anything in the surf but normally the fish are small enough that you are safe with 15 pound line or less. I just fished the surf in Florida for the last couple of weeks and I used 6 pound line and never had any trouble.

I would recommend using shrimp as bait. Live shrimp is better because it stays on your hook better and is more attractive. But frozen squid or shrimp are fine. Hook live shrimp just behind the eye ahead of the black spot you see at the back of their head. With dead shrimp, remove the head (you will find that it falls off too easy to hook there) and thread your hook through their body and anchor it through their tail.

Use Kahle hooks large enough to thread through a shrimp's body. Fish will pretty well hook themselves on a Kahle hook so you can stand your rod in a rod holder (3 foot piece of PVC pipe) if you want. I suggest a drop (4" leader) hook or two about a foot ahead of a 2 ounce pyramid sinker. If the surf is rough, you may need a heavier sinker to hold. You may also be able to find a pre-rigged Pompano rig with three dropped hooks that have a tiny marshmallow sized float ahead of each hook. The Pompano rigs are good but they go through bait faster too.

It will be best with a rising tide and generally cast as far as you can. I like the 6 pound mono or better yet the 15 pound braid with a mono leader. Lighter line allows you to cast longer and that usually helps. If the surf is relatively calm, you may actually hit fish 20 yards off the beach behind the last big breaking wave.

On that beach, you should also be able to dig for sand fleas for bait too or buy them in bait shops. They can be good too. To dig, you can get a flea scoop or just turn the sand over with your hand about 6 inches deep right at the edge of the surf. They are little egg shaped crustaceans the size of a good sized beetle that the pompano love.

This time of the year you could get whiting, sheepshead, Spanish mackerel, bluefish, bonnet head sharks, black-tip sharks, and lemon sharks. With a little luck, the pompano might also be there by now.

I caught all of these over the last week on the gulf coast surf at St. Pete and they will be similar for you. These are all good eating fish except for the bonnet heads. Whiting should be migrating there now and if a school passes you, you need to fish them hard as they won't be there all day. You might be able to get a bucket full of them in a couple hours at times. They are my favorite of these fish to eat.

Take a look at floridashorefishing dot com for simple pictures and tips on these fish. Remember to clean your rod, reel, guides and all hooks when you come in from the surf. Salt water will rust your nice fresh water tackle before your eyes if you aren't careful. Enjoy... and best of luck! I hope this helps you get started on the right foot... let us know how you do.

Comment

Forgot to mention... it's a long shot but you might also want to put heavier tackle out for bigger fish that might pass you once every week or so. While I was fishing the gulf surf I had a 120 pound cobia pass me about 10 yards out and another angler landed a 35 pound tuna. I don't consider the odds worth putting a big line out this time of year but you never know. An eel, ribbon fish, lady fish or blue runner fished live might get a look using a small 4x treble hook in the upper lip.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad