Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braid vs. mono for sharks from shore? What lb. test should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braid vs. mono for sharks from shore? What lb. test should I use?

Braid vs. mono for sharks from shore? What lb. test should I use?

Where are you going and how big of a shark do you hope to catch? What reel do you have? In general, you will want the stretch that mono gives you, but if you are hoping for big sharks, you will also need a lot of line capacity. When I am hoping for big sharks, I spool several hundred yards of braid underneath my mono "working line" so that I have some give in there, but also have plenty of length for big runs. I use 80 lb. mono.

Comment

It depends on how big a shark you are fishing for. For little toe nibblers, I use 17 pound mono and 40 pound mono leader. That's good for about a 50 pound shark.

For the big boys, I use a six foot single strand steel (75lb) leader with good swivels every two feet. The big boys spin a lot and you don't want them to kink the single strand. I use 500 yards or more of 60 lb mono (Trilene Big Game).

Comment

Im targeting 5-9 foot sharks

Comment

Strictly speaking from the line size point of view, I would go with braid because the reel will hold more of it. I would also use a good section of steel leader because believe it or not, sharks do have teeth that could cause damage to life, limb, and tackle.

Comment

I use 180 lb braid and just put a 16-20 ft 300 lb mono leader tied to a strong swivel that has a 6 foot single strand steel leader that holds 360 lbs. I have been successful with this setup the braided fishing line allows the shark to wear himself out and the mono is long enough to absorb all of that violent thrashing sharks tend to do. Also make sure to use a circle hook it allows for a clean hook and he won't swallow your hook which usually results in death.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad