Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conventional vs. spinning reels for surf fishing? I will mainly be targeting sharks and other species on occasion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conventional vs. spinning reels for surf fishing? I will mainly be targeting sharks and other species on occasion.

Conventional vs. spinning reels for surf fishing? I will mainly be targeting sharks and other species on occasion.

it all depends on the shark species that you could be catching and targeting. I like spinning reels for surf casting if you are not targeting anything too big where you need the extra umph to land the fish. I like the ease of used and the maneuverability that you can't get from a conventional reel. BUT If you could end up with a big bull or hammerhead at the end of your line then conventional is the way to go. you can have more stronger line with extra strength in the reel and better drag settings.

Comment

The spinning reel will be the easiest to cast in the surf, but a nice size shark can be a handful to reel in with one. To shark fish, I would rather use my old Penn Senator 4/0. Yet since I can cast against a pretty stiff wind with my baitcasters, I use them a lot for surf fishing. The down side to using my baitcasters is the small amount of line which they hold so I can not let a fish have long runs.

Comment

I myself would use a spinning reel. I caught a ton of small sharks and some fluke off piers with spinning gear that being said they were small, no more than 2 feet and i wasnt casting far at all.

Comment

I myself would use a spinning reel. I caught a ton of small sharks and some fluke off piers with spinning gear that being said they were small, no more than 2 feet and i wasnt casting far at all.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad