Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are rocks good or bad for shark fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are rocks good or bad for shark fishing?

Are rocks good or bad for shark fishing?

I have never caught any kind of shark on a rock. Were you using the rock for bait, or terminal tackle? I prefer a large mullet, slashed along the side, for bait, and for terminal tackle, a 9/0 with a 35-50 lb. wire leader. However, if you are catching sharks with rocks, please share your technique. We can all learn.

Comment

In what context? Boat? Beach? Serving cocktails?

Comment

Forget the rocks just being cold beer instead.

Comment

"bring" not being typo mistake

Comment

The rocks are in the water between 10-30 feet out.

Comment

I am fishing from the beach

Comment

In that case, no, the rocks are not your friend, at least in my experience. I have had the best luck fishing the "trough" between the sandbars. Most beaches will slowly drop off until they hit a "trough" where it suddenly gets deeper very quickly. This is usually the point where you go from water up to your belly/chest to well over your head. Beyond that, there will be a sandbar. You can usually identify it by watching where the waves break off it. If you were to swim out, you would likely be able to stand on it. If I were you, I would wade out to the "trough", drop your bait there, and then walk back to the beach to wait for a bite. Sharks patrol the trough looking for food.

If you have access to a kayak or other boat, you can paddle your bait out past the first sandbar to a second trough that runs between the first and second sandbars. This is where the big boys lurk.

Regardless, two main food sources for near-shore sharks are rays and mullet, and neither hang out on rocks. You want a sandy bottom.

Comment

i agree with green rocks are not usually a shark fishers friend unless they are jutting up from deep water but where will you be fishing. If you are fishing in warmer waters in the south the rocks might be worth a try. I have a friend from texas who showed me how to fish for sharks near rocks with bait that you catch off the rocks. Put the bait just past the rocks in the sand and wait a little. but i would only do this if fishing the drop off from the shore is not working or possible.

Comment

Rocks make a lousy bait, and are heard to get a hook through. Use live bait instead.

Comment

Greenhead nailed it. Stay out of the rocks, and get your bait into the second, or third trough if it is there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                        by franchi20
                        I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors to the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of...
                        Today, 07:40 PM
                      • Debate #2: new rules
                        by FirstBubba
                        New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                        The "Biden Campaign"!...
                        10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                      • Reply to What's after Trump?
                        by franchi20
                        Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                        Today, 07:34 PM
                      • What's after Trump?
                        by FirstBubba
                        No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                        There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                        Today, 01:46 PM
                      • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                        by fitch270
                        The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                        Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X