Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll be fishing at Cape May Harbor, NJ this summer. I know there are stripers and bluefish there. I'll be on the beach for this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be fishing at Cape May Harbor, NJ this summer. I know there are stripers and bluefish there. I'll be on the beach for this.

I'll be fishing at Cape May Harbor, NJ this summer. I know there are stripers and bluefish there. I'll be on the beach for this. Got any tips on anything - line, lures, leaders, places, bait?

I think the best bet for both would be a good 1 1/2 to 2 ounce white bucktail jig that you can cast way out there. The stripers may be around pier pilings too and there I would use a white fluke lure. The Blues like silver spoons too... any sleak and shiny silver spoon that you can cast well. Try fishing the rip tide as the tide goes out too. You will need to use a steel leader or at least 60-80 pound mono for the blues... they will bite right through casting mono. Your choice on line... if there are big blues around you can use 17 pount mono to cast. If they are smaller (3 pounds), you can use 12 pound mono to cast. Pull those jigs and lures FAST for the blues. There is a jig I have had great luck with but I can't remember its name. It is a long skinny jig. It is chrome plated metal about the diameter of a pencil and about 3 1/2 inches long. It has a white bucktail treble hook at the rear. It casts very well... you just jerk it through the water and the blues love it. Good luck.

Comment

Pascal, click on my username and check out my latest pics. Every one of them was caught on cut mullet or the secret bait...lol...for sinkers, use the lightest weight that will hold in the current which will differ at times. Good luck and use a steel leader. Those buggers have teeth.

Comment

As dakota stated, Stripers will be around piers, pilings rocks and bridges. Striper season is hot in the spring and fall, during migrations. In Cape may in the summer there are resident stripers there, but they're not as plentiful. Nightfishing bridges works well. Also, try a party boat. There are many there. You'll be in Flounder season, which are good eating but not as fun to catch as Stripers and Blues.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad