Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey all, quick question. Last year I went out on one of the party boats in Belmar. We were going after Bluefish. I had no proble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all, quick question. Last year I went out on one of the party boats in Belmar. We were going after Bluefish. I had no proble

Hey all, quick question. Last year I went out on one of the party boats in Belmar. We were going after Bluefish. I had no problem hooking up, but I lost about 8 rigs to the two fish I brought over the side. I checked the lines and every time the knot had come undone. My question is, in your opinion, what is the best (and strongest) knot in order to attach terminal tackle to the line (I usually use monofilament 20 lb test). Thanks.

I use the imp. Clinch knot. What knot were you using?

Comment

Put a dab of superglue on your prefered knot.

Comment

Palomar Knot. Wet the knot before tighting.

Comment

Uni-knot.

Comment

I'll second the Palomar.

Comment

Palomar or San Diego something I can't remember knot. both are easy and maintain nearly 100% line strength.

Comment

Go to www.antimatedknots.com/indexfishing.php and look at the Palomar Knot. I use it and the Improved Clinch myself, but my fishing buddy swears by the Trilene Knot.

Comment

I'll second the uni-knot. I never had one come un-done

Comment

I have always used the clinch or imp. clinch with no troubles on fish in both fresh or salt water under 50 lbs. wet the line to lubricate it and minimize abrasion during tightening.

Comment

All the knots mentioned above are very strong knots for 20lb mono. The secret is how you do it. Before you snug the knot, run it through your mouth to get some saliva on the line. Then snug it down. If not lubricated, ALL mono tends to crack as you snug it down.

Next check the knot strength by pulling hard on the hook and line. You should not be able to exert enough force to break a 20 pound line by hand. All of these knots can and do crack on occasion; even after lubrication. If it breaks, tie another knot and test again. I always test knots and have tied thousands... I still can't tie one that won't crack on occasion.

When fishing for blues, use a steel leader or a 40lb-60lb mono leader. They have very sharp teeth and are probably cutting your line right at the knot.

Finally, take a small piece of nylon stocking with you. Run it up and down the line to check for mono cracks. Blue's teeth can hit it, rocks, snags or contact with other party boat lines can knick it. A slight crack may reduce the line weight to less than a pound. If your nylon stocking catches, you have a line crack or abrasion. Trim off bad line.

Party boats rarely keep their equipment in top notch condition. It will pay you to test for good knots, bring good leader material and check for line abrasions. Blues are easy to hook because they swim fast and their mouths are tough enough to hold a hook yet soft enough for good hook penetration. In other species, I even bring my own hooks so they are sharp and I have the right kind of hook for conditions.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad