Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are great lures/ methods for surf fishing for stripers in the summer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are great lures/ methods for surf fishing for stripers in the summer.

What are great lures/ methods for surf fishing for stripers in the summer.

TheEasternShore,
    The very best place to ask is on this F&S site. No kidding. Go back to one of the main pages and on the right hand side look at the differnt blogs. Click on 'The Honest Angler' and ask John Merwin that question. He's very good about responding. You could ask Joe Cermele but he's up to his eyeballs in Booth Babes right now.

Comment

This website may help and if it doesn't ask John Merwin in blogs like Jim said.

http://www.stripers247.com/fishermentactics.htm

Comment

TheEasternShore...
        I've done a little striper fishing in your area, but not a lot...mostly chunking in a chum slick in the Bay. But stripers are stripers, so here are a few suggestions.

In surfcasting, you'll need baits/lures in a few general categories. First, something that's heavy and aerodynamic that you can cast a long way. I like Kastmasters from Acme Tackle; the ones with the single hook dressed with white bucktail. Size to suit your tackle. I most often use 2-ounce versions.

Then you'll want a floating/diving minnow-type plug, such as the Bomber Long-A. I like black/silver or chartreuse/silver colors. If the bass are on smaller bait, you'll have to downsize your minnow-plug offering. Something like a Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow works well.

Soft-plastics work well, too, and the Storm WildEye swim shad might be at the top of the list. Hard to cast far, though. Finally, the basic white-bucktail lead-head jig with either a pork-strip or soft-plastic, twisted-tail grub added is as never-fail a striper lure as there is. Again, size to match your tackle as well as water deoth and current speed.

Most important, though, are these two things. Go to a local tackle shop, ask questions politely, and buy at least a few things to grease the flow of information. Second, go to where you are thinking of fishing and look around. Watch what other fishermen are doing. Once again, ask a few questions politely. If you're a good guy about it and not a pain in the butt, you may be amazed at the kindness of strangers. Good luck!

Comment

thank you 2 for 3 i am in COOPS and captain porkys a lot in the summer.

Comment

Hmmmmm, from your reply, it sounds like you're on Martha's Vinyard in summer, yes? I had assumed Maryland/Virginia from your EasternShore user name.
            Anyway, if you are hanging around places such as you mentioned, you should be getting a pretty good handle on what you need to know and do.

Comment

correct vaccation. but i may try to do some fishing on the eastern shore in the spring. thanks again.

Comment

Large white bucktails with whiting or mullet and sling it just as hard and far as you can without losing the bait.

Comment

bucktail w/minnow

Comment

pencil poppers (silver w/ blue) and for night needle fish (black w/ red)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad