Hatchery fish lost during floods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatchery fish lost during floods

We were just talking about the Rome, N.Y. hatchery in the Lake Trout thread ....

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...-flooding.html

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    We were just talking about the Rome, N.Y. hatchery in the Lake Trout thread ....

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...-flooding.html
    My Nephew used to live in Westernville and had a house on the Lake. Wonder if it is still standing ? I wonder if some of those flodded fish made it to the river ?

When we used the Barge Canal to go to the Intercoastal Waterway, we used to dock at Fort Stanwick to meet with Jim to visit and have lunch.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-27-2021, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Hey it happens we had stripers get loose one year in a lake. They are finally all getting caught.
      Shouldnt be worried about them getting loose since they were going to dump those invasive fish in anyways.

Grab a pole and go fishing lol. Sure going to put a hurting on them for a couple years runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
        Hey it happens we had stripers get loose one year in a lake. They are finally all getting caught.
        Shouldnt be worried about them getting loose since they were going to dump those invasive fish in anyways.

Grab a pole and go fishing lol. Sure going to put a hurting on them for a couple years runs.
        There is a resivoir in Ohio, East Branch, that is suppose to have Stripers but can't prove it by me. they hang out by the deep water by the dam.
        Here are some pics of fishing Lake Erie and Rivers East of Cleveland - deeper , cooler water. Actually the walleye look rather small vs. what we get in the Western Basin in the Spring. A fish Ohio Walleye is over 10lbs and you get a pin from the State for the entry. I have a cup full of pins. Enjoy...
        https://www.bing.com/maps?q=east+bra...46a10a2ffb6751
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-27-2021, 11:27 PM.

Comment

We get some nice striper action in a couple lakes. Some good spots on our rivers. Mostly very active around night time.

Ive seen some big walleye but they come mostly from the rivers. Erie has some nice ones. Seems like people are keeping a lot of them so I hope the population can handle it.

I would think jimbo that since your a state is right next to me that they would be stocking the stripers just as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
            We get some nice striper action in a couple lakes. Some good spots on our rivers. Mostly very active around night time.

Ive seen some big walleye but they come mostly from the rivers. Erie has some nice ones. Seems like people are keeping a lot of them so I hope the population can handle it.

I would think jimbo that since your a state is right next to me that they would be stocking the stripers just as much.
            After the early summer drag net survey the State increased the estimated, Walleye only, population in Lake Erie to 40,000,000, 40 million and predict the population will continue at higl levels for another 5 or more years. Walleye in Lake Erie live some 20 years.

Because Walleye can live up to 20 years, Wolfe says anglers are still catching Walleye from the 2003 class, so even if you look 15 years ahead at what will be ready in two years, it's going to be great. "Lake Erie is living up to it's title as the "Walleye Capital of the World," Wolfe said

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-28-2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Lost?
              ...or maybe just "unintentional" stocking sites! LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Just Right
                by 99explorer
                This place is turning onto a regular gold mine of information.
                Today, 03:50 PM
              • Just Right
                by jhjimbo
                Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                Yesterday, 04:59 PM
              • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                by MattM37
                Gosh, I even checked before posting. However, as I scrolled down, I started thrashing to "End of the World as We Know It" as soon as I saw...
                Today, 03:49 PM
              • TGIF; Armageddon
                by fitch270
                Not sure how this week will play out, the idea just came to mind.

Nickelback

“If Today Was Your Last Day”

Today, 07:11 AM
              • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                by fitch270
                Pink Floyd

”On The Turning Away”

Today, 03:16 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse