Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Erie lakers (Jimbo, good news for your lake!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Erie lakers (Jimbo, good news for your lake!)

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...ar-effort.html

Lake Trout finally reproducing on their own.

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

That's great news Matt .

Have you ever had lake trout? I caught some out of Skaneatles and Ontario.
    The Ontario ones weren't ass good,
    i figure it was what they were eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

That's great news Matt .

Have you ever had lake trout? I caught some out of Skaneatles and Ontario.
      The Ontario ones weren't ass good,
      i figure it was what they were eating.
      I caught one on Cayuga one year, and that one tasted great. I'm with you on the Lake Ontario fish not being very good -- lakers and salmon both, never really cared for any of them. Even smoked, there was still a bit of a nasty flavor. The springtime browns that I've had were better, though.

Somebody told me once that the only reason Ontario didn't have a stricter consumption advisory due to pollution was because all the charter captains' business would suffer. I don't know if that's true or not.

Comment

I caught one on Cayuga one year, and that one tasted great. I'm with you on the Lake Ontario fish not being very good -- lakers and salmon both, never really cared for any of them. Even smoked, there was still a bit of a nasty flavor. The springtime browns that I've had were better, though.

Somebody told me once that the only reason Ontario didn't have a stricter consumption advisory due to pollution was because all the charter captains' business would suffer. I don't know if that's true or not.
        The Ontario lakers were caught midsummer and Skaneatles were caught middle of October from shore.( Hint)

Walleyes , perch and Crappie taste fine out of Ontario. Ontario is a lot cleaner than it used to be I don't worry about consumption advisory's that much.

The meat eater podcast had a expert on about fish consumption advisories .
        He said you would need to eat a hell of slot of fish over a life time for it to have any effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

The Ontario lakers were caught midsummer and Skaneatles were caught middle of October from shore.( Hint)

Walleyes , perch and Crappie taste fine out of Ontario. Ontario is a lot cleaner than it used to be I don't worry about consumption advisory's that much.

The meat eater podcast had a expert on about fish consumption advisories .
          He said you would need to eat a hell of slot of fish over a life time for it to have any effect.
          Yep, I kind of took that rumor with a grain of salt. DEC isn't perfect but I wouldn't think they're that political. I've never gone by the book with the advisories, though I do follow the advice to trim off belly fat. Skin, too, depending on where the fish came from. If it's one of our small-stream brookies, that skin is staying on, getting all nice and crisp, and crunched right down as soon as it comes off the fish.

Comment

Great news. I have a relative that lives down the road from the Rome,NY hatchery. Not sure what they raise there. Lake Delta has some decent fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Great news. I have a relative that lives down the road from the Rome,NY hatchery. Not sure what they raise there. Lake Delta has some decent fishing.
              DEC site says the Rome hatchery raise the brookies, browns, and rainbows for the airplane and helicopter stocking of "remote waters," which I take to mean the ADKs. That'd be a cool thing to see someday, that aerial stocking.

We were thinking of a drive up to Old Forge today or tomorrow, but the weather is alternating between steady rain and flat-out downpour. Thanks, Fred.

Comment

DEC site says the Rome hatchery raise the brookies, browns, and rainbows for the airplane and helicopter stocking of "remote waters," which I take to mean the ADKs. That'd be a cool thing to see someday, that aerial stocking.

We were thinking of a drive up to Old Forge today or tomorrow, but the weather is alternating between steady rain and flat-out downpour. Thanks, Fred.
                Next time there get directions to the moose viewing area - not far out of town.

Comment

Sounds like some great news for the lake. I’m sure their effort on cleaning up the trash must be working as well. Glad to see them spawning as they were once native. Plus they get big so that’s gotta be a fun catch with a monster laker.

Comment

That is great news jimbo. Thanks for the update. I'm so happy to hear that. Erie is coming around and turning into a wonderful fishery for those fortunate to live on her shores. Congrats to all those who have been involved in bringing this important great lakes native back. I hope the conditions supporting natural reproduction continue to hold and that the population grows naturally. My Laker fishing has been relegated to Lake Michigan but I've enjoyed it immensely and hope the Lake Erie anglers get to experience large populations again.

Comment

Too bad the 'blue pike' can not make a come back - i believe they are exxtinct. Old timers used to talk of them as better fare than walleye

blue pike - Bing
                      Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-19-2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

The blue pike are gone commercial fishing did away with them. Plus the hybrids of other walleye are going nuts. Might be good eating but they didn't get that big. At least the lake trout are coming back I wouldn't mind fishing for a 40lb fish.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad