Where are the fish ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the fish ?

Charter Captains say the larger Walleye have gone to deeper, cooler water along with the steelhead. 60' to 70' in Lake Erie.

Sure is getting hot for the cold water fish. In two more months they should be coming shallow again and the steelhead will make their runs.

Comment

Here's some local news photos of Lake Ontario fish caught recently. DEC report for this week says the salmon are being caught 100-150 down.
      https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...e-ontario.html

Comment

I have fished there for salmon out of Oak Orchard, Hells A Poppin Charter ?? It is a pain when you have 6 or so lines out and they get tangled.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          I have fished there for salmon out of Oak Orchard, Hells A Poppin Charter ?? It is a pain when you have 6 or so lines out and they get tangled.
          We went with Irish Pride Charters in Point Breeze, one year in the springtime. Fished the mudline for big browns, got six or seven in the 6-10 pound range. Had a really good time -- got a few smallish cohoes and a couple steelhead, too. This was 2001 or 02, I think.

One of my cousins gives up a couple of his deer-season days every year to drive out and fish Oak Orchard Creek (or River, not sure which it is called).

Comment

The dogs and the pinks are just started. I caught 1 dog and about 7 pinks. I snagged a colored up big dog in the dorsal fin just before I knocked off this morning. The silvers should start coming hard next week. All I've got is one small one so far.

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
              The dogs and the pinks are just started. I caught 1 dog and about 7 pinks. I snagged a colored up big dog in the dorsal fin just before I knocked off this morning. The silvers should start coming hard next week. All I've got is one small one so far.
              Aw man lab12! You're in AK!
              How was the trip up?
              Did you feel the earthquake?
              I'd love to be up there.

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
                Sockeyes yet?

Comment

We don't get a huge run of Sockeyes on POW. Those babies have lockjaw. The earthquake was over a thousand miles away in the Aleutians, I'm way down the panhandle. The drive wasn't bad, some real warm weather though. I don't like seeing 100 degrees on the outdoor thermometer while I'm carrying over a ton with a big sail on a truck with over 100,000 miles on it. No problems. Now its time to fish into October!

Comment

Lake Erie walleye have moved to deep, cooler water. A guy coming in today got a limit of medium size in 50' of water about 1/4 the way to Canada (5 miles out).

Got my new VRO pump sorted out and motor runs fine. Also put in a new Ship to Shore. (really it should be called Ship to Ship is more accurate) Years ago a marine radio could call a marine operator and place a call to a land line I phones did away with that. Nice radio with about 100 kilometers, about 65 miles range. Lots of features.
                    Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-03-2021, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad