Typical Charter Boat on Lake Erie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Charter Boat on Lake Erie

Here are some pics of Charter Boats. Captain usually has a license for 6 people, it is called a 6 pack license Click image for larger version  Name:	Charter Boat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.7 KB ID:	775791 Click image for larger version  Name:	Head Boat.png Views:	0 Size:	101.3 KB ID:	775792 Click image for larger version  Name:	Commercial Fishing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	775793 . So, you can get 8 limits per boat. Walleye and Perch are popular Charters. You can Charter for full day or half day AM o r PM. Port Clinton, Ohio is a busy Charter area. Head Boat takes a crowd, less money and they get you on the fish. Commercial fishermen set up nets .Just thought you might be interested in what is happening on the best Walleye Lake in the Country. State of Ohio, DEC, just increased the estimated number of Walleye in the Lake to 40,000,000 - based on dragging test nets.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-21-2021, 12:19 AM.

What techniques do they typically use Jim? Your posts about Lake Erie walleyes have me thinking about getting a group of us together to try it. I’m not interested in a day spent trolling however, I’d rather be the one doing the fishing not the captain.

Comment

Spring and early Summer it is drifting while casting for Walleye around the Ohio shore - have to anchor for Perch. The Walleye move counter-clockwise around the Lake as the Summer-Fall progress. In the Central and Eastern area PA to Buffalo downriggers and trolling start go deep for Steelhead and Walleye to the thermalcline amd below. Late Fall they are along Canada and then they winter back in the Western basin to spawn in the Spring. (they follow the bait fish and the O2 rich water around the Lake)

lake erie charter fishing - Bing images
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-21-2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

This is an old Lyman 17' that I reconditioned. fished from it in Erie, very comfortable, but have to keep an eye on the weather. Lake can blow up to 4'+ in an hour or less. We slept in this and in AM Lake was rough so we followed a ferry back to dock. I listen to radio station in Detroit and when I hear the static I figure I have about an hour to get in. The Ski boat I had in theAdirondacks - 16' with 90hp Merc. Interesting engine - no transmission - started in forward and to stop shut off and start in reverse. I figure it was a racing engine design. boat went like a bat out of hell 50mph+. Can't find a pic right now. Boat with me is current boat.

Inland Seas (steel) is the last big boat I have had.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	inland-seas-40-steel-clipper-28324070141049696852504854664569x.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	775817 Click image for larger version  Name:	Inland-Seas-Steel-Clipper-8138001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	775818
        Attached Files

Comment

Went to an outdoor show. There were a lot of captains down there. Seem like a couple good guys. Even a couple said you could catch my limit and take them with you.

As for commercial boats boats I hear Canada is the worst with the nets. A lot of steelhead fishermen complain about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
            Went to an outdoor show. There were a lot of captains down there. Seem like a couple good guys. Even a couple said you could catch my limit and take them with you.

As for commercial boats boats I hear Canada is the worst with the nets. A lot of steelhead fishermen complain about it.
            Canada does not coorelate with any U.S. regulations, as far as I know.

Comment

Nice boats but I can’t talk myself into a Jon boat lol!

Comment

Jimbo check your messages

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad