No announcement yet.

Eels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"... apparently they squirm when they hit the pan even though they’re dead. ..."

Frog legs do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      We used to have them in the river when I was a kid but they must have been hold overs that were upstream from a dam. They live a long time but eventually died out. They still make it up below the dam.

I’d like to try some smoked ones someday as I hear they’re very good. My aunt tells stories of her grandmother frying them and apparently they squirm when they hit the pan even though they’re dead.
      I think we talked once before about that guy Ray who was on the show Dirty Jobs. I wonder if he's still in business? I remember rafting down there and having to watch out for the old eel weirs.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I think we talked once before about that guy Ray who was on the show Dirty Jobs. I wonder if he's still in business? I remember rafting down there and having to watch out for the old eel weirs.
        I know who you’re referencing, Ray Turner from the show “Filthy Riches”. Interesting guy from what I’ve read on the ‘net. I should look him up and see if he’s still at it. The Kid actually had a ball game down there a few weeks back and I’d thought about it then but we didn’t have time to go looking before the game started.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          "... apparently they squirm when they hit the pan even though they’re dead. ..."

Frog legs do the same thing.
          Didn’t know that, my sister in law wants to go gigging again so if it works out maybe I’ll see for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

After all that, did he at least invite you over to share the meal with him?
            Note to self; Never get on the same plane as Dakotaman.

Comment

There used to be lampreys around the Great Lakes and places like Oneida Lake in NY. The State poisoned the hatch streams with a chemical that acted like birth control but did not affect other life. Now there is no evidence on the fish of any eel attachments.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                There used to be lampreys around the Great Lakes and places like Oneida Lake in NY. The State poisoned the hatch streams with a chemical that acted like birth control but did not affect other life. Now there is no evidence on the fish of any eel attachments.
                The thing with the Great Lakes and lampreys was the invasive sea lamprey got into the lakes. So a lot got killed but they still have a problem with them
                They try killing them and so do the native have to get hit hard to.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad