Eels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eels

Fishing below the spillway on Lake Corpus Christi. Thought I had a pretty nice catfish until I saw it!
    It was an eel.
    We set some hooks in Keechi Creek. Someone caught an eel and used it to bait one of the hooks.

I know there are eels in America's fresh waters. They just aren't anything I regularly run into.

Do any of you fish (or gig) for eels?
    If so, how do you dress them? ...cook them?

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    Fishing below the spillway on Lake Corpus Christi. Thought I had a pretty nice catfish until I saw it!
    It was an eel.
    We set some hooks in Keechi Creek. Someone caught an eel and used it to bait one of the hooks.

I know there are eels in America's fresh waters. They just aren't anything I regularly run into.

Do any of you fish (or gig) for eels?
    If so, how do you dress them? ...cook them?
    They don’t have much of a figure Bubba, even the females are really flat chested, so it is rather difficult to ‘dress’ them to make one look appealing. Mini skirts don’t help either, just makes them look rather silly. The school of thought is still rather in the dark on this very important issue. Stay tuned, American ingenuity will undoubtedly come up with the proper outfit......... !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

They don’t have much of a figure Bubba, even the females are really flat chested, so it is rather difficult to ‘dress’ them to make one look appealing. Mini skirts don’t help either, just makes them look rather silly. The school of thought is still rather in the dark on this very important issue. Stay tuned, American ingenuity will undoubtedly come up with the proper outfit......... !
      You so funny.....!!!!! 😁

The one I caught (about 7" long) thrashed about and wrapped itself around the line. It "slimed" about 7 or 8 inches of line. Since I was alone and had NO idea how to deal with an eel, I finally just cut the line and let him have it all! LOL!
      I have no idea how you would ever get a grip on one to clean it!

I think, in England and Europe, gigging eels is a big to-do.
      Just wondering if anybody around here had ever gigged for or eaten "eel"?

dressed an eel - 🤤 (snicker, snort, chortle!)

Comment

BTW, bhr! How's the escape plan coming along?

Comment

Lake Erie snakes. This girl has balls as big as her tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PGLKTSqoMQ

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Lake Erie snakes. This girl has balls as big as her tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PGLKTSqoMQ
            That wouldn't last long around here. Reaching in a hole she'd find water moccasins.

Comment

Anybody remenber Ed Zern's eel joke?

Comment

Anybody want to guess which political party she belongs to ???

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  BTW, bhr! How's the escape plan coming along?
                  It is gaining momentum, looking into tickets at this time ! There is light at the end of the tunnel and hope in my ♥️!

Comment

No experience with eels. I once paddled a canoe across Eel Bay in the Thousand Islands, but didn't see any eels. Did catch a nice pike in there, though, 28-30 inches, good full-bodied fish. Caught it on a tiny little Mister Twister, of all things. I was bouncing the jig through the weeds for perch and sunnies.

A guy I knew years ago told me he would sometimes catch eels in one of our local streams on the salted minnows or red worms he was using for trout bait. I have no reason to disbelieve him, other than the fact that eels spawn in saltwater and we're a long, long ways from any of that. We are actually in the upper reaches of the Chesapeake watershed, though, so it's certainly possible eels could get up here.

He never did say if he kept them.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                      No experience with eels. I once paddled a canoe across Eel Bay in the Thousand Islands, but didn't see any eels. Did catch a nice pike in there, though, 28-30 inches, good full-bodied fish. Caught it on a tiny little Mister Twister, of all things. I was bouncing the jig through the weeds for perch and sunnies.

A guy I knew years ago told me he would sometimes catch eels in one of our local streams on the salted minnows or red worms he was using for trout bait. I have no reason to disbelieve him, other than the fact that eels spawn in saltwater and we're a long, long ways from any of that. We are actually in the upper reaches of the Chesapeake watershed, though, so it's certainly possible eels could get up here.

He never did say if he kept them.
                      I was night fishing near the Islands in Western Lake Erie and had a rattlesnake follow my rapala in. I was about 100yds from Rattlesnake Island.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I was night fishing near the Islands in Western Lake Erie and had a rattlesnake follow my rapala in. I was about 100yds from Rattlesnake Island.
                        Rattlers usually don’t swim in water.

Comment

We got some freshwater lampreys I saw mating once got it on vid. We also got eels. Can’t really tell them apart unless you catch them.

Comment

My only eel story comes from Boston Harbor. I was spear fishing there and saw a half dozen big eels swarming around a shore fisherman's bait on the bottom below about 40 feet of water. I shouted to him about it and he said "Spear one if you can. They've been stealing my bait all morning but I can't catch them and I love to eat them."

So, I dove down and speared one for him. The one I speared went nuts as the spear zinged through him and he spiraled up my line in a froth of foam. He was much bigger than he looked from above and I soon regretted not hitting him closer to his head so I could control him. He was about four to six feet long and about 6 inches high. I hung on to my spear gun however and he came right up the line into my face. I swiped with my hand and he bit into my hand and locked his jaws. Fortunately, he had hundreds of small pin-like teeth rather than dog fangs but his grip was like a Vice Grip and it HURT.

I swam over to the shore where the fisherman was fishing on a dock. I flopped the eel on the dock and cut his head off but his head was still locked on my hand. I had to cut his jaws apart to get him off my hand. The guy was elated though as he had never seen one that big and was looking forward to a tasty meal.

I'm not a big fan of eel fishing, especially when they are that big. I even have a hard time using the one footers for cobia bait. They are slimy and hard to handle. An amazing fish though.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                              My only eel story comes from Boston Harbor. I was spear fishing there and saw a half dozen big eels swarming around a shore fisherman's bait on the bottom below about 40 feet of water. I shouted to him about it and he said "Spear one if you can. They've been stealing my bait all morning but I can't catch them and I love to eat them."

So, I dove down and speared one for him. The one I speared went nuts as the spear zinged through him and he spiraled up my line in a froth of foam. He was much bigger than he looked from above and I soon regretted not hitting him closer to his head so I could control him. He was about four to six feet long and about 6 inches high. I hung on to my spear gun however and he came right up the line into my face. I swiped with my hand and he bit into my hand and locked his jaws. Fortunately, he had hundreds of small pin-like teeth rather than dog fangs but his grip was like a Vice Grip and it HURT.

I swam over to the shore where the fisherman was fishing on a dock. I flopped the eel on the dock and cut his head off but his head was still locked on my hand. I had to cut his jaws apart to get him off my hand. The guy was elated though as he had never seen one that big and was looking forward to a tasty meal.

I'm not a big fan of eel fishing, especially when they are that big. I even have a hard time using the one footers for cobia bait. They are slimy and hard to handle. An amazing fish though.
                              After all that, did he at least invite you over to share the meal with him?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad