Baitfish Methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baitfish Methods

If you ever fish with live minnows or chubs, what's your preferred method -- hook placement, under a float or free swimming, etc.? Different setups for different species?

Minnows and chubs I’ll go threw the mouths. Think they live a little longer than threw the back. Panfish or something bigger I’ll go threw the back.

As for float it all depends what I going after. Catfish and bigger holes on the bottom. If it’s got a rocky bottom then they go on a float. So they can’t swim in the rocks and get snagged.

Comment

I used alewives (sp.) in Canandaigua New York for Lake Trout. I used a 3 hook harness and fished them near the bottom On a mounted trolling reel with wire line. 100+ feet deep

Comment

In the spring, using minnows for spawning crappie, I'll hook the minnow through the mouth with a split shot about 6 to 8 inches under a bobber.

Comment

Alewives through the dorsal fin, fatheads through the snout. Both under a Thill slip bobber with appropriate amount of weight 12”-16” above the hook.

Comment

Different methods for different baits. I use blueback herring for striper fishing quite often. Sine I move around using the trolling motor, I hook them in front of the eye socket. The hook goes in from the port side of their eye socket for the starboard side of the boat and from the starboard eye socket for the port side of the boat. That way, as I move forward, the line pull apart rather than together for a tangle.

I hook most other minnows in the upper lip or in the back of the dorsal fin depending on how the minnow will be presented.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad