Match Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match Up

What rods, in the same price point, match up to the Ugly Stick ??

I think the Ugly Stik is the best you can do in that price range. In the early 2000s, Mitchell had a series called "Traditions" that were very good; I had a couple, a 6.5 foot medium-action and an ultralight 5-footer; but I haven't seen those in stores since.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
      I think the Ugly Stik is the best you can do in that price range. In the early 2000s, Mitchell had a series called "Traditions" that were very good; I had a couple, a 6.5 foot medium-action and an ultralight 5-footer; but I haven't seen those in stores since.
      Back in the '80's I bought two Shakespeare Boron Ugly Sticks. My fishing buddy also bought 2. Never saw them again. Mine are heavy action for Walleye. Best sensitivity I have ever had. In the store I check sensitivity by lightly moving a rod tip over the almost invisible seam in the tile. The Boron could transmit it while none of the other rods could.

Comment

An Ugly Stik gave me a good laugh one time when I was a kid. We had this Hobby Fair event at school in the sixth grade, and my buddy Dave and I chose fishing. We both brought in all our fishing stuff, set up the table with displays we'd made, photos, etc. (We even had a few issues of FS and OL fanned out on the table.)

Well, Dave was a good friend, but he could get sort of cocky sometimes about all the cool stuff he owned. He came from a pretty well-off family, unlike the rest of us.

You might remember back in the early 1980s, Ugly Stik had that advertisement in which the guy bent the rod into a complete circle and it still didn't break. They were one of the big deals in the early 80s, and more expensive compared to other rods. Dave had one, of course -- and, of course, he spent the whole morning of the Hobby Fair bending it into a full circle, just like in the ads. No mystery where this story is going: About the tenth time he did it, SNAP! There goes his Ugly Stik. The look on Dave's face was classic. Just utter shock and disbelief. A fair amount of fear, too -- Dave told us then that it'd actually been his big brother's rod. I can't remember what the outcome of that was.

Yeah, I know; guess you had to be there. Good memories, though. Funny, back then, even the rich kids at school were mostly country kids. Or at least knew what fishing and hunting were.

Comment

Can’t beat an ugly stick got some from my father still used it today and still in good shape. Ive had other Shakespeare rods but they aren’t as good as ugly stick.

The second best was guide series from gander. Couldn’t beat the price and it seems to be a good rod.

I have some very expensive rods but you get what you pay for with them.

Comment

Ugly stick story!

Mac was the manager at the sporting goods store where me and Bob worked.
            We got a shipment of Ugly Stiks in one day and Mac grabbed one.

Mac's grampa had a pond (small lake) FULL of big bass.
            When the three of us got to the lake, we used Mac's grandpa's old 16 foot jon boat. Mac sat in the back, Bob in the middle and I got the bow.
            Mac had a SOB (Small Okie Bug) lure on. It's a safety pin spinning lure.
            Mac threw his lure at a big stump sticking out of the water and the lure stuck to the stump like it was velcro'd in place.
            Mac reeled in all the slack and began popping the lure to try and get it to come loose.
            Bob and me both grabbed oars and told Mac we'll row you over there.
            "That's okay," Mac said, "I've got it.", gave the rod a mighty snatch and broke about 6 inches off the end of the new Ugly Stik!
            Mac's face turned beet red and he began wrapping the 20 lb test mono around his hand.
            Again, Bob and me told him we would row him to the lure. In a rage, Mac gave the line another mighty tug.......you could hear the lure whistling through the still, moist air....smacking Mac squarely between his nose and upper lip! Dead center!
            Knocked his glasses off, thankfully, into the bottom.of the boat!
            Bob and me are bent over in peals of laughter!
            it's been over forty years, but I can still bring Bob to fits of laughter by saying, "Mac and the SOB.".

Comment

I honestly never cared much for Ugly Stick rods, dunno why really.

I haven’t priced fishing gear since having to replace everything that we lost in Canada. We ended up with 6 Fenwick Eagle rods and a Lews Speed Stick and I’m pleased with all of them. They retail for $60 but I picked them up for 25% off.

Thing is you can get some very serviceable rods these days for not much money. What’s nice is they don’t really wear out, if you’re careful with them you’ll get a lot of use for what you spend.

Comment

Has forgotten Lew's Speed Stik's.
                Very nice, serviceable rods.
                I can remember when a "Fenwick" fiberglass noodle rod was about all you could get.

Comment

Fenwick had some nice spinning reels in the mid-80s; they were always in the Kmart ads in the middle of Field and Stream. Another buddy story from that era: My friend Steve and I both got one of those Fenwicks a couple years after Dave's Bad Day with the Ugly Stick. Steve was the one who stopped at my house one day on his way home from the river with the treble hook from a Mepps embedded in his calf muscle, and asked me to yank it out with a pair of pliers. That was a treat. Anyway, those reels were pretty good ones; I had mine for a good ten years, all the way up through college. I think it's still in a box somewhere in my house, as a matter of fact.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                    Fenwick had some nice spinning reels in the mid-80s; they were always in the Kmart ads in the middle of Field and Stream. Another buddy story from that era: My friend Steve and I both got one of those Fenwicks a couple years after Dave's Bad Day with the Ugly Stick. Steve was the one who stopped at my house one day on his way home from the river with the treble hook from a Mepps embedded in his calf muscle, and asked me to yank it out with a pair of pliers. That was a treat. Anyway, those reels were pretty good ones; I had mine for a good ten years, all the way up through college. I think it's still in a box somewhere in my house, as a matter of fact.
                    I had a Fenwick combo in the 80’s that came from Kmart. I think it was a 5 1/2’ light action rod and one of the first spinning reels I can recall with the trigger mechanism, eventually the gizmo gave out but I ran it quite a bit. I can’t remember what ended up happening with the rod. Probably sold it off on a yard sale.

Comment

In WalMart yesterday and the UglyStix looks about $60 range.

Comment

I like the feel/handling of other rods better but if your talking toughness, then no, I wouldn't put any of them against an ugly stick. Around here they are THE big river catfish rod.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          I like the feel/handling of other rods better but if your talking toughness, then no, I wouldn't put any of them against an ugly stick. Around here they are THE big river catfish rod.
                          I have a Catfish rod that lights up. It has a huge Zebco reel on it.

Comment

I've got a ugly stick big water fly rod. I bought it in 2000 to take to Alaska to catch salmon. Its a heavy club but its still alive. I use it as a back up switch rod. I've broken at least 8 graphite fly rods since then. Tossing weighted flies that bounce off your rod and snagging fish inadvertently puts a load on a rod. Snagged dogs and silvers are tough on an old man's wrist too. My ugly stick fly rod will outlast me. Noway can I fish it overhand anymore. My right arm still hurts from that mother. Two handed its not bad.

Comment

I didn't know that Shakespeare had acquired All Star rods, but All Star used to be made in Houston, Texas, and came with a lifetime guarantee. Doubt that holds, nowadays. When I ran All Star rods through google, the came in from $49.99-$60.00+. Last rod I bought at Academy, to go with my Father's restored, Made In USA Zebco 66, was by AIRD rods, made by Diawa. $49.99, nice action, works really good on farm pond bass in the 2-3 lb. range. I won't ever get that one in salt water.
                              Still got a couple of Lew's Speed Sticks, from the long ago and far away, but haven't seen one new and for sale in a long time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad