X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 Muskies!

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...last-year.html

More muskie news .....

That's a lot of muskies for one year's fishing.

I call b.s. on this one. I’m sure it can happen if you spend your whole life on the waters like I know some die hards do. But they have no other life.

Last year i think i hooked into about 4 or 5 of them. All close to 20lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
      I call b.s. on this one. I’m sure it can happen if you spend your whole life on the waters like I know some die hards do. But they have no other life.

Last year i think i hooked into about 4 or 5 of them. All close to 20lbs.
      I see your point, and don't generally like any fishing or hunting that's outright intended to tally up a score. But, with all the shutdowns this spring and summer, I can see it happening naturally enough -- if they were laid off from work, for example, and fished all those weekends and probably some weekdays from May through November. I think a lot of people during the shutdown were able to be diehards and still have enough time left over to live other parts of life.
      Last edited by MattM37; 03-05-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Even the musky fisherman I know who could do this. Doesn’t go on some news websites and brag about it unless they are some kinda guides. Sounds like she wanted some kind of medal or something.

Remember im a fisherman and there’s only two things we do is either catch a couple of fish then exaggerate the numbers or catch a bunch of fish and say you haven’t caught any so no one goes to that spot. Haha.
        Last edited by Solitario Lupo; 03-05-2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I think she does it to promote her boyfriends Muskie lures. They must be good as I saw one on e-bay for over $150. everything they do is a tax write off for him.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
            She's a very nice looking woman. But why so little make-up and no nail polish?

....and you're worried about nail polish and makeup?
            Engraving and gold inlay don't make a rifle a shooter. LOL!
            She's not wearing Gucci shoes or an Armani dress either.

Comment

Am I missing something?
              Are muskies THAT hard to catch?
              ...or that rare? ...or that elusive?

Comment

Sample of one PH, doesn’t speak for the whole of NY. That said my wife doesn’t wear much more than a little eye liner and nail polish when she’s out and about. Edit; makeup wise 😎

Besides, if Ms. Rivers (appropriate name for a fisherman!) is up at dark thirty for a day on the water who’d blame her.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  Am I missing something?
                  Are muskies THAT hard to catch?
                  ...or that rare? ...or that elusive?
                  Back then they were rare and elusive to catch. Now they get stocked so they are not rare anymore. As for hard to catch yes such a big fish but can be very picky at what they grab. They are known for a fish of 10,000 casts not for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    Sample of one PH, doesn’t speak for the whole of NY. That said my wife doesn’t wear much more than a little eye liner and nail polish when she’s out and about. Edit; makeup wise 😎

Besides, if Ms. Rivers (appropriate name for a fisherman!) is up at dark thirty for a day on the water who’d blame her.
                    My wife won't touch makeup with a ten foot pole.
                    1) takes too long to put it on.
                    2) you gotta take it off at night
                    3) some makeup is scented, she hated that*
                    4) she'd rather go fishing and work on the boat.

* - When we first married, she worked in an office and wore minimal war paint. When she moved back out into the field, she tossed all of it....what little there was.

Comment

Are they good to eat?

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                        Are they good to eat?
                        From what I've seen, I figured they were pretty much an equivalent to a gar. About the equivalent table fare I figured too.
                        What I looked up online say the muskie is quite tasty.

Comment

Growing up in South Dakota, I always dreamed of muskie fishing since we had none in our state. I fished in Minnesota a bit but unfortunately was never was able to visit a muskie lake. Then after high school, I made a trip to northern Manitoba; north of the Arctic Circle above Winnepeg. This was Arctic wilderness and an area that has likely never been touched by humans.

My first trip to that wilderness was in 1966. The wolves thought we were something to eat and the mink played around our camp site during broad daylight. The fish fed ravenously to the point we had to keep our hands away from the water. I actually had a 30+ pound northern hit me in the chest as he tried to strike one of my hands (I pulled it back just in the nick of time). Another 30+ pounder jumped in the boat trying to strike a muskie plug I had just reeled in. He cut my ankle deep when the back hook on the lure grazed my ankle as he thrashed in the boat.

On that first trip, a buddy and I each caught between 300 and 500 big northern pike during a week of fishing. Nothing under 15 pounds would hit the big muskie lures we used and the average was about the size of the one in the lady's picture above. We each hooked, but lost, one during our first week that would eclipse 40 pounds and the few we brought home were 25-30 pounds for good eating. By the end of day two, our arms were so tired, we could hardly cast.

Northern Pike fishing in that country is a thrill and I never had another desire to float all week waiting for one muskie to bite. I like the action and I really enjoyed catching 20+ pounders all day while waiting for that big one to strike.
                          Last edited by DakotaMan; 03-10-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                            Are they good to eat?
                            I've never talked to anyone who's tried one. If it's any indication, their cousins pike and pickerel are very good. White flesh like walleye, but firmer. Walleye seems more the consistency of panfish (them being perch themselves, I guess); pike is more similar to the texture of trout -- somewhat.

The boniness many talk about with the Esox fish can be a pain, but it's really not such a big deal. Just a different kind of filleting, or eating more carefully.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad