Arctic Grayling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arctic Grayling

Ever fished for grayling? I've always been fascinated by them, probably because they're far off and seem kind of exotic. Freshwater sailfish. I'm wondering how they are on the table -- I know they're kind of a camp-food staple in the Far North. Here's an interesting thing I just learned as I read: Their Latin name, Thymmalus arcticus, was given them because they smell like the herb thyme.

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Ever fished for grayling? I've always been fascinated by them, probably because they're far off and seem kind of exotic. Freshwater sailfish. I'm wondering how they are on the table -- I know they're kind of a camp-food staple in the Far North. Here's an interesting thing I just learned as I read: Their Latin name, Thymmalus arcticus, was given them because they smell like the herb thyme.
    A mountain grayling can be found in some Rocky Mountain lakes. I caught several in Montana with my dad when I was a kid.

Caught the arctic variety when I worked in Alaska. An interesting fish. They grab a spot on a creek and stay there. Very territorial and aggressive. Don't use coachman pattern. They go for the white wings and miss the hook. Throw the fly at a grayling over and over and even if it feels the hook, it will keep going after it ... from that same spot. Catch, release, and it goes right back to the same spot. They fight "okay" ... nothing fantastic. I don't remember any spectacular jumps. They are fabulous eating BUT ONLY FRESH. Frozen and thawed they are hardly edible.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 01-07-2021, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	601B13EF-E63D-4879-9F75-352DFD8392CF.png
Views:	115
Size:	4.54 MB
ID:	765701

I finally pulled a picture off the laptop, the first fish I caught on my one trip to Alaska was this grayling. Special only for that reason, it hit a spinner I was throwing mainly for rainbows or char. Caught a few others on both spinning and fly gear. Rainbows were strictly catch and release by law but char went straight to the kitchen upon return. I have no idea how grayling are on the plate.

I’d like to go back but there are other trips on my bucket list. So much to do, so little time.

Comment

I've caught a ton of grayling in the north country. Back in the seventies, 20 inches were available in many roadside streams and rivers. Small spinners, flies, including royal coachman and black gnats work well. Today's easily accessible areas have grayling, but fish over 12 inches are harder to find. Fly and bobber works well too. Fish the fly dry with the bobber to give it weight to cast. It sounds weird but works well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Apologies
          by 99explorer
          Cheer up, boys.
          Put a smile on them chapped lips.
          Try to envision a scenario in which Citizen Trump forms a new political party, the Patriots,
          Today, 11:25 AM
        • Apologies
          by Pmacc60
          I must apologize to Honk, Rock Rat and 99 ! Today I watched and really listened to the inauguration and commentary on ABC. I realize I am a White Suprematist...
          Yesterday, 08:22 PM
        • Reply to MSM Lying
          by rock rat
          Jim the reason none of the courts would hear any cases was none had any evidence, most federal courts now lean Republican, but judges aren't picked because...
          Today, 11:22 AM
        • MSM Lying
          by jhjimbo
          The MSM keeps lying by saying all the Courts did not find any illegality and the Election was fair.

How do they know, not one Court...
          01-17-2021, 03:58 PM
        • Reply to Apologies
          by FirstBubba
          You guys are so wrong!
          Don't you understand?
          If the head is on the wrong end of the nail, it goes on the other side of the house!
          Today, 10:48 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X