What is your favorite method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite method?

When the winter sets in and no seasons are left, seems like a good time to check out the rods, oil the reels, rummage through the tackle box for whatever, and always pick up a new lure or two at the favorite sporting goods store. What is your go to rod and reel combination, or do you use several?

​​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	7E1DE07D-22A4-4D36-AAEA-57BDF790CC85.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	764906

I have several with me when I’m boat fishing and opportunities or moods change but more often than not I’m using either a light action Lews rod or medium light Fenwick Eagle as my general purpose set up. Pretty much running all Okuma reels now just because I hit a huge clearance sale.

Ocean rods and 9’ 2-pc Salmon rod not included because they don’t fit in the old gun cabinet.

Comment

Since my reason for fishing is to look like I'm doing something, while actually goofing off, I use an inexpensive Zebco spinning combo I've had for years. For back up if I'm too lazy to change lures, I keep a couple spincast rigs with Zebco 202's. Im sure they're 40 years old by now. And the Shakespeare breakdown spinning rig I've mentioned before.
      Last edited by franchi20; 12-29-2020, 06:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Almost all of my freshwater fishing is concentrated on crappie in the spring spawn.
        I have a collapsible pole, a Ambassaduer 3000 (sp?) on a fly rod and an ultralight with a jig.
        Wife uses a Zebco 33.
        If the bite is good, I can sit for a long time. If the bite is too slow, I'll work up and down the rocks. If it's still slow, I'm headed home! LOL!
        Three or four an hour can keep me interested.

Comment

I'll be hunting through the 1st week of March. My freshwater rig is a Daiwa Silvercast 100A reel on an Abu Garcia Ambassador rod. For saltwater, a Penn 6000 reel on a Denali AttaX rod.

I'm not a good fisherman and don't have much invested in tackle.

Comment

I've got everything from ultralight crappie rigs to Penn trolling rigs. Special catfish only outfits as well. I like using more specialized rigs, I think it helps my success ratio. I've loved flyfishing since I was a kid but I myself consider it a separate sport. Like bad mitten and tennis. Close, but not really. I'd say most of my life and especially now my all around rig is a medium light 6-1/2' spinning rig. My favorite reel is a Shimano but I don't really have any brand loyalty at all. A good sale on better quality is my choosing factor. I never go cheap but I don't buy to impress either. I change line before every big trip if line has been on awhile otherwise I change whenever the spools getting low(I never splice) or it looks old.
            Last edited by dewman; 12-30-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

From dewman: "I've got everything from ultralight crappie rigs to Penn trolling rigs."

Yep, me too. I have access to the Gulf, Texas has a rainbow stocking program, lots of freshwater when I get up to Oklahoma, and even saltwater calls for different tackle for different situations. I have kept a lot of old stuff that, through maintenance, is still as serviceable as it ever was. Maintenance is a lot cheaper than the price of the new reels I see today, and five or ten feet more casting distance just doesn't seem worth the price.

Comment

I went to a "FREE" Zebco "Reel Clinic".
                Whatever Zebco you drug in the door, they would repair.
                At that time, the little Zebco 202 was about $3/$4 brand new!
                A guy drags two in that were in pretty rough shape and hands them to Bob.
                Bob looks at the 2 pathetic reels, mumbles something about "...202..." and drops both in a trash can. He reaches under the table and hands the guy 2 brand spanking new Zebco 202 reels and says, "Next!".
                The guy stands there, staring at the new reels and finally points to the trash can, "Those were my reels!"
                Bob tells him he now has two new ones, "Next!".
                Again, pointing to the trash can, "But those are my reels!"
                The scenario repeats itself the 3rd time!
                Exasperated, Bob finally reaches into the trash, retrieves the two reels and hands them to the guy.
                Smiling, the guy shuffles off with his 2 new reels and 2 wrecks! LOL!

Comment

Sentimental value? Or just mental?

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                    Sentimental value? Or just mental?
                    Let's hope sentimental, but I suspect just mental! LOL!

Good grief, '06! That's been 41 years ago!

I was standing at the table and watched the entire thing.
                    Best I can tell, the guy was a tightwad and rather than seeing two, cheap, dysfunctional reels being discarded, saw the four to six dollars he spent on the reels lying in the garbage.
                    A hoarder maybe?
                    "It might be trash, but I "PAID" for it!"

Comment

What I use most often is a 6-ft. Ugly Stik light-medium action with an Abu Garcia spinning reel -- for small river fishing for browns, smallmouths, and walleye. I also have a 4.5 or 5ft. Ugly Stik with a tiny Shimano spinning reel I've had since the 1980s, for really small cricks and as a spare to keep in the car. Also have a 7ft. Shakespeare, light-medium action, with a bigger Mitchell 300, one of the new ones not the old classics, for occasional shore-casting on a lake. And a Cortland 5-weight fly rod, an old Shakespeare yellow model fly rod, and an old Berkeley Cherrywood rod with the tip broken off. Somewhere, too, I've got one of those yellow Eagle Claw casting rods that I used to use occasionally with an old copper Zebco 606 spincast reel, another relic from my youngster years.

I've also got a couple of little no-name ice-fishing rod/reel combos that I never use. I probably never will, not caring much about ice-fishing, though I might start packing them along on summertime hikes for the little streams and ponds back in the woods. A little weird using them like a regular outfit but still workable.

Last edited by MattM37; 12-30-2020, 01:20 PM.

Comment

From # 1 Bubba: "I went to a "FREE" Zebco "Reel Clinic"......."

I see from the responses, that several of us are like me. While not quite as tight as bark on a tree, or as much of a skinflint as #1 Bubba, I will save a nickel whenever I can. For anyone needing reel repair, or considering the purchase of a reconditioned reel, there is a gentleman known as "The Reel Doctor", who was recommended to me by the Zebco factory. I have spoken with him on the phone, and he is very knowledgeable about reels. He also is very prompt in his returns of parts ordered, and will provide phone support if you want to install your own replacement parts.

The Reel Doctor
                        Fishing Equipment Restoration and Repair
                        3202 N. Grandview Dr.
                        Flagstaff, AZ. 86004
                        (928) 213-0489

email: [email protected]
                        Open Mon. thru Fri. 8 am to noon Mtn. Std. Time

Comment

CRM3006: I've never understood why so many people think wiping off the old lube on their gears and regreasing them was too much work,but few do it. Or changing line. Seriously people change your line from time to time. Reels will last decades if you take care of them and learn to use the drag and let the rod take the load and do the work. It ain't rocket science. Heck the reels & rods tell you what size line to use, as well as lure weight.

Comment

dewman- Agreed, and agreed, and agreed! I like the reels that I have and don't need the latest outer space looking things that china makes and passes off for reels these days. I like to disassemble and lube at least once a year, and change out monofilament lines the first time I notice that it is getting brittle or kinked. Braided line on the bait casters usually lasts a little longer. Most of my reels have lasted decades, with service and care, and like you said, it ain't rocket science. I do have a really good reel service person fairly close to me, but he is a big tackle salt water guy and not the best for just a clean and adjust.

Comment

Being blessed to live at the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay , two hours from the ocean and two to three hours to mountain trout streams, fishing is religion in my family. I like to fly fish and tie but I’m less likely these days to do so because I rather fish with my sons and grandsons. My daughter call me and ask I take my two grandsons fishing because they love it so much and dad is a suit! I’m also a equipment junkie so I admit that up front. I couldn’t agree with dewman more when he stated care of reels! I have reels that still work that are 50 years old , Mitchell , Diawa, Penn and Quick. I’m happy to say some of this tackle is in third generation hands and catching fish while creating smiles! This past summer I upgraded my surf tackle because a friend who is a die hard surf fisherman told me I needed to enter the new century . I gave several rods to my grandsons who are putting them to good use.
                              I bought three Shimano Tiralejo rods, 12’ 10’6” and a 9’6” I matched them with shimano ultegra reels . The difference in power and light weight is amazing over the Penn SS reels and rods. Fresh water I’m a big fan of St Criox rods most notably the avid series . I use Shimano Sustain reels for the past 20 years. Fly rod is a Orvis #4 brook trout with a battenkill reel and it looks new but it’s 30 years old. I also have a basket full of grand laker ice traps. Like I said fishing is religion!
                              Crabbing is also a big thing here in Md and it starts around the first of June, it’s a lot of fun and the reward is huge!
                              Last edited by Pmacc60; 12-30-2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Apologies
                                by 99explorer
                                Cheer up, boys.
                                Put a smile on them chapped lips.
                                Try to envision a scenario in which Citizen Trump forms a new political party, the Patriots,
                                Today, 11:25 AM
                              • Apologies
                                by Pmacc60
                                I must apologize to Honk, Rock Rat and 99 ! Today I watched and really listened to the inauguration and commentary on ABC. I realize I am a White Suprematist...
                                Yesterday, 08:22 PM
                              • Reply to MSM Lying
                                by rock rat
                                Jim the reason none of the courts would hear any cases was none had any evidence, most federal courts now lean Republican, but judges aren't picked because...
                                Today, 11:22 AM
                              • MSM Lying
                                by jhjimbo
                                The MSM keeps lying by saying all the Courts did not find any illegality and the Election was fair.

How do they know, not one Court...
                                01-17-2021, 03:58 PM
                              • Reply to Apologies
                                by FirstBubba
                                You guys are so wrong!
                                Don't you understand?
                                If the head is on the wrong end of the nail, it goes on the other side of the house!
                                Today, 10:48 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X