Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?

We are getting a nice slow soaker of a rain for most of Sat afternoon. Reminds me when we fished from my Fathers cruiser. It was called an express cruiser so a hardtop covered half of the rear deck. Several could fish from under that and we never passed up an opportunity to fish in the rain - unless there was lightening. Several of us used steel rods. It seems the fish got turned on with the rain. Anybody else fish in the rain ?

Brings back many happy memories growing up on a farm. We worked hard except when it rained too hard to get in the field. That was the kind of day my brothers and I looked forward to. We would grab our rods and head for the Missouri river and we'd stay as long as it rained. I agree with you that the fish seem to bite well in the rain. We each kept a five gallon bucket for our catch and we usually filled them with crappie, catfish, walleyes, bass, and northern pike. Our family always looked forward to the fish feast after good rain.

Comment

It's been many years, but "Yes!"! I love fishing in the rain!
      I think barometric pressure is a key part.
      There was a farm pond about 200 yards behind the house.
      I did a whole lot of "catch & release".
      Why mess up a fun time fishing by having to quit early to clean fish! LOL!

A time or two, I've had a light rain hit during the crappie bite. I couldn't tell the bite picked up any, but it sure didn't slow it down.
      Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-01-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

so long as there's no lightning, I love it.

Lots of fish go crazy as the pressure changes.

Comment

A light rain yes, not wild about getting caught in a downpour. We actually did get drizzled on tonight.

We’re a bit out of our element, haven’t even taken the canoe off the truck and are leaving tomorrow. Little more water than what we’re used to.

Comment

I fish in any kind of weather rain, snow, or sunshine. I like overcast days where it’s cloudy out and not pouring out. I’ve had some really good days on light rainy days.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
              I fish in any kind of weather rain, snow, or sunshine. I like overcast days where it’s cloudy out and not pouring out. I’ve had some really good days on light rainy days.
              When I fish Erie for Walleye it all depends on the angle the sun hits the water how far the fish go down. Afternoon they go deeper or right on the bottom I think to rest - they are very hard to get to bite when they are down there.
              We hit them big one morning when the sun was very low and we found them in 10' of water feeding. Almost every cast was a nice fish. We got our limit in about an hour.

Here I am in 40' and the fish are down 20', probably where the thermocline is.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0760.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	741284

Comment

As long as no lightning I don't care if it rains.

Comment

Jimbo I dont really go for eyes on Erie but that is impressive almost 80 degrees on top and in that depths wonder how cold it gets in that thermocline.
                  I go to Erie for steelhead sometimes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad