Lake Erie Boom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Erie Boom

You have probably heard of the walleye boom on Lake Erie. A couple of good spawns and now walleye are estimated at 40 million fish. Plus, there are 51 other species of fish in the Lake. The 2003 hatch fish are now 30"+ like the Picture above. Ohio is thinking about raising the 6 fish limit. Lots of charters to get on the lake. Day, half-day 6 pack charters and head boats all along from Cleveland West. Check this happy guy out https://buffalonews.com/2018/01/26/l...e-dec-reports/

So the fish are doing good and they want to raise the limit so more are taking. Boy sometimes I wonder why they think that. They already have very good pressure on them. Also the studies of the algae bloom are killing a lot of those fish off as well. So hope their studies are actually right which they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
      So the fish are doing good and they want to raise the limit so more are taking. Boy sometimes I wonder why they think that. They already have very good pressure on them. Also the studies of the algae bloom are killing a lot of those fish off as well. So hope their studies are actually right which they are not.
      We have had so much rain the lake has not warmed up much - no algae. I stuck my hand in the water and it is too cold for me to swim.

Comment

Long range weather says next week predicted almost perfect weather for 5 days. 90 deg and no storms. If the bugs are bad in the marina I may go out in the Lake and anchor for the night. I have a spot I can get out of the way of other boats and still get a nice breeze. One thing I have learned is the fishing really only starts about 9AM, it has to do with water clarity and the angle of the sun. In the AM I cast and get them at about 12 15', about 1PM the walleye head for the deep and lounge around a couple feet off the bottom and don't feed much. They will attack movement though. The temp of Erie is rather cold now so no algae and clear water so the walleye will be extra sensitive to the light penetration. Those big eyes gather a lot of light. They have been catching fish from the 2014 hatch and as old as the 2003 hatch. Walleye live as much as 30 years in the Lake. 15 or 20 year old fish = 30" or more. I only keep 5 pounders, if the big one are not injured I put them back. Estimate is 4,000,000 walleye in Lake Erie, plus 52 other species.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	710316 Here is a great way to get in on some Walleye action. The fish are hitting hard as of 7/17/19. I was out yesterday and the graph was covered with fish. Fish from the 2003 spawn are now 30+ inches (I put the big ones back as the 5+ pound are better table fair). Everyone expects the Lake Erie record of 16.3 to be broken this year. Biologists say Walleye live 30 years in Lake Erie. Exciting times.
          This outfit has room facilities and offer everything. Lake Erie Walleye population estimated to be 41,000,000. BTW, Erie Turtles estimated to be 160,000,000.
          Here is my graph from yesterday.
          http://www.coevannacharters.com/
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-16-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I forgot to mention the State estimates there are 40,000,000 walleye in Lake Erie, plus 51 other species of fish. Also, it is estimated there are 120,000,000 turtles. The Lake Erie is warming as well as smaller inland lakes and ponds and algae is now growing in the shallow waters and bays. Do not swim in those areas or let your dog drink the water.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Red Dot's
              by PigHunter
              Jimbo, I've used a red dot scope on my crossbow and it was great in low light at the short distances I needed (up to 50 yards). However, the dot washed...
              Today, 10:10 AM
            • Red Dot's
              by jhjimbo
              What is the difference between a open Red Dot and a scope type Red Dot ? Function, operation, accuracy potential....
              Today, 09:41 AM
            • Reply to Red Dot's
              by fitch270
              I believe the biggest difference would be in speed of target acquisition related to field of view. The tube style have a bit of tunnel vision to them,...
              Today, 09:48 AM
            • Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
              by jhjimbo
              They can also create organs right now with 3d printing. Dr. mentioned that on Tucker show.
              Univ of Pittsburg has been growing organs for years...
              Today, 09:44 AM
            • Are You Ready For This ?
              by jhjimbo
              An American Scientist financed by Spain has gone to China to create an ape-human by combining a human embryo with a primate. I don't know why he had...
              Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X