Ultralight gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultralight gear

I'm just getting into the panfishing scene and am looking for information on everything from rods reels line and lures

Panfish you really don’t need nothing big in rod size. Anything from a 4ft to a 7ft rod lightweight will do. 4 to 6lb mono line. I would go with a 6lb as they do like to pull you under stuff. A 7ft can cast longer to keep in mind. As for lures anything small so they can fit their mouths on it. Small curly tail grubs, trout magnets. Reels size a class 3 or smaller but I would do a 3 for lake or bigger water fishing for them. Not for fight but for longer casts. This will also depend on boat or shore fishing.

Comment

Along with what S.Lupo said, I like to use really small in-line spinners like 00 size Mepps and Joe's Spin Flies for sunfish and yellow perch, and small to mid-size floating Rapalas for crappie. If you have timber in the water, either standing or fallen stuff like around a beaver house, expect to find some crappie. Jigs are good there, too, but the floating lure will hang up a lot less often. I catch a lot of crappie on rainy and overcast days, in front of this big beaver-house, on a 2- inch silver floating Rapala. I'll cast right above a cluster of submerged tree-branches and just twitch the minnow every few seconds.

Mini fat-bodied crankbaits can be really good for crappie, too, and rock bass. Yo Zuri makes a really small crankbait, a little single-hook model, that's only about an inch long.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad