Disease from fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disease from fish

Last weekend a friend of mine was fishing a pond and caught a trout, he had a small cut on his finger that he grabbed the fish with. After a few hours his arm was swollen so bad they had to cut his shirt sleeve off. He was rushed to the hospital and is in a coma in intensive care. Thursday morning he had his arm removed between the shoulder and elbow. They said it was a flesh eating bacteria from the fish. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Yes there is a bacteria that you can get from fish there are a couple. Was watching wicked tuna one time and heard of the guys getting a bacteria like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
      Yes there is a bacteria that you can get from fish there are a couple. Was watching wicked tuna one time and heard of the guys getting a bacteria like that.
      It was the first I ever heard of this, it's crazy.

Comment

I never thought of it or pay attention to it to much but I do carry hand sanitizer in my vest pockets. The only time I got worried about it was when I caught a musky and got to close to its mouth. It tore my thumb right open. I used a bunch of the hand sanitizer on it and boy did it burn. Glad I had it.

Comment

A number of bacteria can cause Necrotizing Fascitis (bacteria toxin that kills flesh). ANY opening on your body can become contaminated by one of the bacteria. IF your immune system can not isolate it and kill it, it will multiply - usually very fast. Even a little water into your nasal passage could bring the bacteria with it. Unfortunately the bacteria are usually drug resistant to the point an anti-biotic cocktail is given that is probably just as deadly to the patient as the bacteria. It is a last ditch effort. There are warnings when bacteria counts are high for people to stay out of the water. The old drop food for less than 5 secs and it is o.k., don't believe it. Legionnaires disease bacteria are all over the place.

Comment

Any time you get a skin break with bleeding, let it bleed some. Encourage the bleeding while washing any debris out of the wound. Blood flowing out could carry any pathogenic bacteria with it. Stop the bleeding immediately and you have in effect trapped the bacteria in the wound. Don't worry about a little blood loss, you can lose up to two units without any life threatening consequences.

Comment

Never heard of that. Not very comforting -- especially when I think of how often I'm fishing with cuts or dry-skin cracks on my hands, especially in this cold and dry time of year. Thanks for posting that good tip about bleeding -- I remember my RN sister telling me that a few years ago, but half the time, I still slap some pressure on a cut as soon as I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                Never heard of that. Not very comforting -- especially when I think of how often I'm fishing with cuts or dry-skin cracks on my hands, especially in this cold and dry time of year. Thanks for posting that good tip about bleeding -- I remember my RN sister telling me that a few years ago, but half the time, I still slap some pressure on a cut as soon as I get it.
                I never heard it either

Comment

Think of all the things we handled when we were kids, how often we swam in cricks and rivers (and drank from them, too). Amazing we survived.

I just thought of something: Are they certain it came from the fish itself, or could it have been something in the water?

Comment

They say all fish can carry a bacteria on their body, it can be any fish. Thats what the doc says

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                      Think of all the things we handled when we were kids, how often we swam in cricks and rivers (and drank from them, too). Amazing we survived.

I just thought of something: Are they certain it came from the fish itself, or could it have been something in the water?
                      That’s what builds the immune system up. For those who didn’t accidentally eat some dirt of drank some nasty lake water must have a weak immune system. Haha.

Comment

What’s even more nuts is I hear that people who are wet wading with small cuts are getting infections and some kind of bacteria from the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                          What’s even more nuts is I hear that people who are wet wading with small cuts are getting infections and some kind of bacteria from the water.
                          Is it flesh eating to the point they lose limbs? I'm like Matt on this one, until that happened anyways.

Comment

I've gotten an infection from wet wading, albeit not from the water. I picked up a leech and stupidly just plucked it off. The bits left in me from his mouth caused this baseball-sized swelling, with pus oozing out of the bite-hole. I learned that lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

Is it flesh eating to the point they lose limbs? I'm like Matt on this one, until that happened anyways.
                              Not sure if you do. Just hear a lot of people saying not to wet wade cause their getting sick from it. I think if any infection doesn’t get treated and you let it go. You can lose limbs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM
                              • Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Virginia legislature has dropped it’s AR-15 confiscation ruling. They have now stated those who presently own these weapons can continue to do so,...
                                Today, 05:33 PM
                              • Reply to Pet Peeves
                                by fitch270
                                My boy does the "I mean" thing quite often, usually when he's trying to think of how to explain something. I have no idea where he got it from,...
                                Today, 10:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X