Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It was suggested to assemble my fishing line as follows: run the line through an egg sinker followed by a snap swivel tied with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was suggested to assemble my fishing line as follows: run the line through an egg sinker followed by a snap swivel tied with

It was suggested to assemble my fishing line as follows: run the line through an egg sinker followed by a snap swivel tied with a palomor knot - attach a hook with leader to the swivel. Is this a good method? After casting do you wind the line up to take up the slack or do you leave the line in a "released" state so as to allow the fish to take the line easier. Thanks!

Whenever I've used this rig, I always reeled in the slack and kept a fairly tight line so I could feel the bite. If you let too much slack get in the line, especially if there's current, the line will tangle with the sinker and leader.

Comment

I know some guys who use this set up for cat fishing, when the catfish like to play with the bait before actually taking the bait, they don't feel the wight so they don't spit the bait back out.

Comment

This is a good setup and you can do it either way. Normally, you take up the slack and lock your spool. That way when they hit, you will see the rod tip bounce and you can set the hook. This is the way I normally fish this rig and I use circle hooks so that when the fish hits, I just start to reel and don't set the hook. I get more good hook ups this way. If you are in still water and using large bait, you can leave your spool open or freespooled and let the fish take line for a while to make sure they take the entire bait into their mouth. I really never do this.

Comment

This is an amazing setup i use it for cats, perch in the surf, and even bass sometimes. This will get finicky trout too. great setup. Great for finicky fish of any kind. Prob my #1 bait rig. I use a splitshot instead of a swivel tho.

Comment

ive always reeled in the slack too

Comment

The slip weight will let the fish take the bait into it's mouth and start swimming away without feeling the weight. Most fish will spit out a bait at the feel of a weight. I leave just a bit of slack 2-3 feet giving the fish time to gulp and turn. Too much slack and you'll end u tangled or in the brush Like dakota says use circle hooks and you'll get better hook ups and the fish get gut hooked.

Comment

supposed to be dont get gut hooked, sorry Dakota.

Comment

reel in the slack. when the fish hits you can watch the rod tip dip.

the sinker allows the line to slide throgh so the fish does not feel the weight as quickly. you still have to be paying attention to the rod.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
                    by fitch270
                    And choke tubes!...
                    Today, 10:48 PM
                  • Hey Folks
                    by jhjimbo
                    Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                    Yesterday, 11:12 AM
                  • Reply to Hey Folks
                    by fitch270
                    Reloading? Have you heard there’s a primer shortage?...
                    Today, 10:47 PM
                  • Reply to Hey Folks
                    by fitch270
                    Actually the old style reel mowers are fairly popular with the granola crowd around here. If you have a small yard they do make sense and as a bonus you...
                    Today, 10:45 PM
                  • Reply to As Bad As It Gets
                    by 99explorer
                    There I was, sitting at the bar staring at my drink,when a large trouble-making biker steps up next to me, grabs my drink and gulps it down in one swig....
                    Today, 10:30 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X