Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I fish for stocked rainbows in a mountain lake not far from my house, but VDGIF also stock pike there. Me, or anyone I have talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah this particular reservoir might be 20 acres. And the vdgif says fingerling, i'm not sure how long they have been stocking, but i've never once talked to someone who has fished for pike here, only trout and sure there are some bass and catfish. Could it be the pike aren't making it? The pike stocking signs are everywhere, just kind of odd that people dont fish for them, just wondering if it's because of unsuccessful attempts.

Comment

there are many ways to fish pike, if you want lazt fishing use a hvy or med/hvy rod 10-12lb test line, 20lb leader, and a #5 treble hook, a large bobber and about a 6-8" sucker minnow. Hook the minnow on sit back and enjoy a beer or 2 and a good fight when you hook one. Or a jointed back rapela or dare devil spoon troll around the lake approx 4-5 mhp. Ive have caught tons using these methods. becareful about using trout for bait some states don't allow game fish to be used as bait. the the pike are eating the trout you can get trout colored rapelas. Good Luck in your Pike hunt

Comment

there really is not much a pike will not bite you can use spinner baits,live bait,rubber worms,jigs,live mice anything really just work it in an aggresive manner and they will strike it try stuff that other wont use.

Comment

Pike will go to the shallows in the fall. When active a pike will take about anything. I love pike on a fly. Any big popper or streamer will do.

Comment

I'm not an expert on pike but you would think they would eat the rainbow trout wouldn't they? Am I wrong?

Comment

There are some great lakes up in Quebec that are nothing but brook trout with black flesh and pike.

In the fall a big orange or orange/chartreuse minnow plug is a real killer. Big inline spinners in chartreuse/gold or all black are great all year and usually better, but the minnow plugs seems to really nail 'em now. Big Sluggos work great as well.

Woodtick's suggestions are the most tried and true ways to catch pike. You can't think pike without thinking Dardevle or big sucker.

They do eat the rainbows, so maybe a a rainbow looking swimbait or plug or whathaveyou would be perfect in this particular body of water.

Comment

the pike may have some impact on the trout in there seeing as the essox species of fish which is pike and musky usually feed on a special species of fish that include perch, walley, trout, suckers and any fish pretty much that is longer than it is wide. but I would use a twister tail or rapala.

Comment

Look up information on Lake Davis in California for all you need to know about whether it is a good or bad idea to have both stocked in the same lake. Millions of dollars wasted and a whole down going down the toilet. Mountain lakes and streams are low energy, often clear waters, making it a difficult balancing act for the food web. Keeping it simple is always the best way to go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
                    by fitch270
                    And choke tubes!...
                    Today, 10:48 PM
                  • Hey Folks
                    by jhjimbo
                    Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                    Yesterday, 11:12 AM
                  • Reply to Hey Folks
                    by fitch270
                    Reloading? Have you heard there’s a primer shortage?...
                    Today, 10:47 PM
                  • Reply to Hey Folks
                    by fitch270
                    Actually the old style reel mowers are fairly popular with the granola crowd around here. If you have a small yard they do make sense and as a bonus you...
                    Today, 10:45 PM
                  • Reply to As Bad As It Gets
                    by 99explorer
                    There I was, sitting at the bar staring at my drink,when a large trouble-making biker steps up next to me, grabs my drink and gulps it down in one swig....
                    Today, 10:30 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X