Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I fish for stocked rainbows in a mountain lake not far from my house, but VDGIF also stock pike there. Me, or anyone I have talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fish for stocked rainbows in a mountain lake not far from my house, but VDGIF also stock pike there. Me, or anyone I have talk

I fish for stocked rainbows in a mountain lake not far from my house, but VDGIF also stock pike there. Me, or anyone I have talked to have either caught or even fished for pike anywhere around here. Whats good for catching pike? Is this contradicting, stocking pike and trout in same lake?

Its not contradictory at all, I live next to the Clark Fork River and there are both trout and pike in it. I always use chartreuse(yellow) size 6 blade spinners or minnows or minnow like rubber bait.

Comment

What is the time of year to fish for these guys? And also, the sign says the stock fingerlings.

Comment

If the VDGIF stocked pike there, that was not very smart, they need to retake some Wildlife Conservation and Management Classes over! Pike will erradicate the "stocked" rainbows (which are probably only between 8-10 inches long and slender: perfect forage fish for the Pike). Uh, try catching the small trout and using them as bait, or use a plastic or rubber swim-bait that is rainbow trout. Try Berkley Gulp...

Comment

They are pretty vicious fish so they feed all the time, beginning of summer and ice fishing for them are my favorite ways to catch them.
          Rezavoirdog, come and visit Noxon, Mt. you will see an abundance of Pike, Bass, Trout, and many other species all sharing the same water... the trout will be fine.

Comment

I've heard the same thing about the pike killing the trout...... What time of year do they bite best?

Comment

thanks for the answers..... deff. going to do some pike fishing.

Comment

Late spring/early summer they are real active and should come up into the shallows to feed. Ice fishing during the winter they seem to be pretty active.

Comment

What lake do you fish? The VDGIF may stock the pike since the trout season is short the pike will eat the left over trout, less temptation to keep trout caught out of season.

Comment

Reason I ask what lake is I used to fish Lake MooMaw, and some of the stocked streams in Hidden Vally and places like that.

Comment

Briery Branch lake, very close to west VA.

Comment

Hunt_Hard,
                        I can only speak from the stocking practices around where I live. The pike where I live get massive. I've caught 24 inchers, 36 inchers and even a 40 incher where I live. They stock literally hundreds of pan-sized trout and when I actually "fish" for one and get one on the line, a big pike (sometimes a bass) usually takes it off the line! So, I guess if you want to fish for big trout, it may be wise to stick to rivers and streams...

Comment

I was a little south of you in Bath Co. Lived 30 miles from the W.VA. line.

Comment

This is interesting to hear. Pike in our upper midwest trout streams and lakes get lethal attention. They are a thrill to catch, though.

Comment

Same with me, I can only speak from the stocking practices around where I live. The pike can get 37lbs. here and there are very successful fishing guides that only focus on trout fishing, but I guess a big factor is the size of the lake or reservoir, for example our body of water is 360 miles long.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to As Bad As It Gets
                                by 99explorer
                                There I was, sitting at the bar staring at my drink,when a large trouble-making biker steps up next to me, grabs my drink and gulps it down in one swig....
                                Today, 10:30 PM
                              • As Bad As It Gets
                                by jhjimbo
                                hi light to read

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Major General Higginbotham On Kamala Harris’
                                06-20-2021, 07:02 PM
                              • Reply to 2020 Election - what is broken ?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I do believe that is the general consensus.
                                I think they had enough trouble printing ballots.
                                Printing ballots with down ballot votes and...
                                Today, 10:30 PM
                              • 2020 Election - what is broken ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                As far as I know, the rigged part of the ballots was the Presidential ticket, down ballot I don't believe were tampered with....
                                Today, 10:17 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                Looks like RRA is making a bid in the long range rifles - Shooting Mag, this month. Guess what caliber it is in ?...
                                Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X