Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This summer I was fishing for bass and northerns on lake in southern Ontario that my family has fished for over 50 yrs. One day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This summer I was fishing for bass and northerns on lake in southern Ontario that my family has fished for over 50 yrs. One day

This summer I was fishing for bass and northerns on lake in southern Ontario that my family has fished for over 50 yrs. One day we drifted into an area we fished in previous years that was a little deeper than average (7-8 feet) with little cover... We ending up hooking 14 muskies in 3 days! Two fish we boated were over 50", the other two 37 and 38". Several of the fish hooked and lost were in the 45" - 50" range. These muskies were biting bass spinner baits in the 3/8 to 1/2 oz size. The muskies were amazing aggressive. One missed a lure and actually smashed its head on the boat. The bite was amazing for 3 days and then they were gone... We also saw a huge number of gars in this same area. No one in my family has ever caught a musky before in this lake. My question is what would cause these fish to be stacked up in this area and why would they be so aggressive? I'm guessing we were very lucking being in the right place at the right time. Was the most exciting 3 days of fishing ever.... By the way, we released all the fish after snapping picture... Thanks...

that is very interesting but you have posted this about three times I believe.

Comment

Did not even keep a smaller one for supper? Shame on ya!

(0) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe
      Your review has been submitted for approval and will appear shortly.
      Molly53

By: Molly53
      May 12, 2007

Muskellunge (also known as muskie or musky) are large freshwater fish of North America. They are the largest member of the pike family, and are primarily found in the Great Lakes Region. Cooking time is approximate based on the size of the fish. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.

SERVES 20 (change servings and units)
      Change to: Servings US Metric Close

clear stars
      Write a Review! (optional)

Submit Cancel
      Ingredients

* 10-14 lbs Muskellunge, cleaned and scaled (pike can also be used)
      * 1 cup butter
      * salt and pepper, to taste (lemon pepper is wonderful in baked fish)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F and grease a baking pan.
      Clean and rinse fish thoroughly.
      Rub with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
      Place fish in prepared pan and bake, allowing 10 minutes for each pound.
      It may be necessary to baste the fish if it is sufficiently large to require more than one hour.
      Use 2 tablespoons butter in one cup of water and baste every twn minutes if necessary to prevent fish from drying out.

Comment

Wow! That is a day to remember! It sounds like the earth, the moon and the stars came together just right for you. I don't know the reason but perhaps you caught them in shallower water during spawning season and when they inhabit the shallows and strike aggressively. I applaud you for returning them to lake as there is now hope for other anglers to share your great experience. Congrats!

Comment

Capitalizing on a perch spawn is my guess.

Comment

To ethan3... What, you dont like duplication? What, you dont like duplication? What, you dont like duplication?

Comment

Not sure why they were hitting like that but that's pretty much a dream fishing trip. Did you post pics on here?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
                by jhjimbo
                What bullet are you going to standardize on ? Weight ? What load/powder? If you want I can give you some ideas that are good for the Swed. I have loaded...
                Today, 09:56 PM
              • Hey Folks
                by jhjimbo
                Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                Yesterday, 11:12 AM
              • Trump Speech
                by jhjimbo
                This Sat, 7PM from Wellington, Ohio Fair Grounds. Broadcast in entirety by 1100 AM WTAM, Cleveland. Don't know if any news will be mentioned....
                Today, 09:53 PM
              • Reply to Hey Folks
                by PigHunter
                Did I tell you about my 6.5 CM? I've got all that I need to start handloading for it......
                Today, 09:50 PM
              • Reply to Hey Folks
                by PigHunter
                Totally agree Jimbo. I only buy axes and Old Hickory knives because I like to restore and modify them.
                Today, 09:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X