Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best bait to catch Channel cats on a trotline.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best bait to catch Channel cats on a trotline.

What is the best bait to catch Channel cats on a trotline.

I like baits that stay on the hook well and are hard for them to suck off the hook. Cut bream or any other cutbait works well but i like to freeze and thaw it a few times so it gets tuff and stinky. In brackish water in southeast virginia I have also had good luck with old rotten squid.

Comment

Cut gills, or the guts from a shad.

Comment

we used Minnows, big ones. Live bait, large size on a line works wells for blues and channels. (and bull heads and no they are not the same)

Comment

This one time I came across this catfish bait that you use with a worm or any bait, it was a gel that you put on the sinker. The gel was sticky and smelled horrible but I caught alot of fish using the stuff.

Comment

these all look like good baits but where I fish a worm or stink bait works fine

Comment

Cut gills

Comment

One bait I use on lines and it never fails me is beef heart, cut the beef heart into sugar cube sized pieces and you will get around 100 baits or so out of one heart. Only costs you about $3 or so for a heart and they bait is extremely tough, multiple fish can be caught on the same bait without having to rebait.

The scent it puts out is great for channels and blues alike

Comment

Fresh cut bait, fresh dead shiners, crawfish, worms (use after dark) and if you live in the south Catalpa Worms!

Comment

Thanks guys. I have caught quit a few on uncooked shrimp and chicken livers. Wanted to know what else would work.

Comment

Oops thats quite

Comment

beekeeper,
                        Boy catalpa worms are a prize here, if I can find the trees, not many around.

Del, get something that smells. If it's spoiled meat your lovely wife is throwing out, you go to the garbage can and save it, don't tell Betty!.

Comment

shad or shinners but I cant wait to try beefheart thanks dwaynez

Comment

Stink

Comment

I have had a lot of luck with live bluegill and something stinky with lines on the Neosho. Alternate hooks with the two baits and you should catch something.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad